Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unofficial Dolphin Discord Server!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TechDunkYT

I made an unofficial discord server for Dolphin, since it was lacking one.
Many people use discord nowadays for anything gaming related, including emulators. Many emulators also have their own (official) discord server.
I'm not aiming to make this something like the forums. I want people to also talk regularly on there. Of course we also have a support channel for all platforms to give support to those who need it.

If you're a developer or someone else im the Dolphin team, please let me know (:

Link: https://discord.gg/75d6u9y

(If this is against the rules, please let me know or delete the post)
Oh, another! Well um, I'll copy-paste a response form the last thread which is more or less the dev team's stance on these.

Helios Wrote:We like IRC because our infra already integrates with reporting to IRC and the nature of it is a natural filter which cuts down on a lot of mindless noise.

Note that other emulator projects that have discord pretty much have to lock up channels for anybody to be remotely productive and manually give out speaking rights.

TechDunkYT

(12-11-2018, 10:47 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, another! Well um, I'll copy-paste a response form the last thread which is more or less the dev team's stance on these.

Didn't know there were more tbh.
Don't think it's like you need ti manually guve out permission. For example the discord of Yuzu works really good.
It "works" because many of the developers ignores the public channels for the most part and only ever pay attention to the channels you need to manually allow access for.

No thank you.

TechDunkYT

(12-12-2018, 02:49 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]It "works" because many of the developers ignores the public channels for the most part and only ever pay attention to the channels you need to manually allow access for.

No thank you.

They are actually managing all channels.
They got a few people called moderators that moderate the chat. There is just normal, mostly emulator related talk in general and there is real support talk in the support channels
Just as a humble point of view from a random user, I agree with admins here regarding Discord.

I have used it a couple of times in other communities out of the curiosity precisely, and while I found it certainly has its functionality, it felt kind of fancy, more suited for *gamers* and perhaps the archetypal "millennial" user.

For my case IRC stills more than enough for chat communication and it keeps its simplicity; it's unfair to regard it as "obsolete" and "deserving to die" solely because of its age.
Few additional stuff such as emoji and other graphic stuff? I think that's more in the IRC client's side, so even that could have solution.

One thing it surprised me a bit is that many communities, in particular scanlation groups as far as I've seen, totally moved from IRC to Discord seemingly only due to the ongoing fad. Perhaps in order to catch more audience?

Well, ran out of ideas; not even sure if I'm right. Corrections are welcome.
But, to mods and admins here, thanks for keeping IRC.
The invite is invalid?