Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to change my save file?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

KaosBrawl

Hello everyone, I currentlly have all my save files on my C: drive but I'll like to change it to my E: drive which has a higher capacity. Cheers
Download the latest development revision of Dolphin, extract it to a folder in E:, place an empty "portable.txt" next to dolphin.exe.

Dolphin will now run in portable mode and all saves, caches, and config files will be saved to the same root directory.
Read up on: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/

You can set the Dolphin settings folder located by default in My Documents to any folder on any disk you like.

Or, you can just make a Portable Dolphin like Helios suggested (aka, no Dolphin settings folder in My Documents is used, but instead being added to the folder where Dolphin is being ran from).

The former method requires you to alter the registry, at least on Windows, and may be daunting if not familiar doing so. But it has the advantage you can easily update Dolphin without the fear of deleting your settings folder in the progress (should you decide to manually update Dolphin, remove the old directory and extract the new directory in it's place). If you use the auto-updater exclusively then there is nothing to fear. Personally, I like to separate the settings folder from the binary folder. It also has the advantage you can let multiple Dolphin versions run of the same settings. If you are like me... And use multiple revisions at once. Just for testing.
I suggested portable because it's a lot safer.
Should Dolphin not implement it through the Qt interface itself to let the user choose the global directory? That should be a lot safer.

Editing your registry by hand is dangerous if you are not careful there. That's the big problem.
No because how would it store/load that setting if the file has been moved?
I was more thinking along the concept that Dolphin could change the registry itself but in a safe manner that is fail-proof by doing it through the Qt interface with a limited input (for safety) rather than the user accessing the registry themselves and randomly start adjusting stuff there which will immediately destroy your PC. Dolphin should basically only ask the user to select a folder and Dolphin does the rest itself in the registry. Storing settings in a file obviously isn't going to be a solution.

Unless Dolphin is not allowed to edit the registry? If so, then the idea / suggestion will have to end there.

yuzu does this a bit differently where you can choose the Nand and SDMC directories while the global settings folder is set by default. The global settings folder stored where the Nand and SDMC folders are, and those two folders are essentially the largest ones. Dolphin could opt for a similar idea in that there is a global directory in which the most essentially settings are stored and allows the user to select his own folders for GC, Load, Screenshots, StateSaves and Wii for example (since those folders could easily be the largest ones).
That would only work on one OS.