Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Model Polygons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

amusingcalico

Is it possible to replace the models in a game with one that has a higher polygon count? (The game i am specifically working on is tony hawks underground 2, ive gotten some nice higher resolution character textures, however the character models are still not all that great looking)
In theory it's possible. You can see some mods such as Project M that have custom models (possibly with higher poly counts). It has to be done on a per-game basis, and it involves doing a lot of hacking/reverse engineering of the game to understand what kind of format the models need to be and how you should replace them. It's not a simple or cut and dry process to say the least, but not technically not impossible, depending on how much you know about the game and how much you have to change.

amusingcalico

(12-03-2018, 09:00 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]In theory it's possible. You can see some mods such as Project M that have custom models (possibly with higher poly counts). It has to be done on a per-game basis, and it involves doing a lot of hacking/reverse engineering of the game to understand what kind of format the models need to be and how you should replace them. It's not a simple or cut and dry process to say the least, but not technically not impossible, depending on how much you know about the game and how much you have to change.

yeaaahh not sure my skills are quite on that level, i noticed the per game basis thing when trying to find suitable face textures i could use for the character creator in THUG2, the format for the face texture in THUG2 is different than the format for other things ive done so i have to get the face texture and then position the new one over that and make it work lolĀ