Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't select NVidia card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I made a small change to my hardware config recently and now I'm having a problem.

I have a custom-built Dolphin box in my home theater  i5-7600 with built-in Intel HD graphics 630, and an NVidia GeForce 1060 (3GB). For a long time I've used this system with my television as the only monitor, connected to the GeForce 1060. No problems. 

I recently added a small computer monitor to the setup so I can play games full screen on the television and have something else running on the small monitor. The small monitor is connected to the motherboard video -- the Intel HD 630.

The problem is that I am unable to select the NVidia adapter in Dolphin when I have OpenGL as my backend. It defaults to the Intel graphics, even though I'm running the games on the television connected to the 1060. It will allow me to select the NVidia card if I change the backend to Vulkan or D3D11. Before I connected the small monitor to the Intel graphics port, I was able to use OpenGL with the 1060.

Any ideas? 
Set the desired GPU for Dolphin on NVIDIA Control Panel, then it will work...
I don't understand your advice. There is nowhere in the NVidia Control panel to "set a desired GPU for Dolphin." I have set Dolphin for maximum performance in NVidia Control Panel.

What I'm talking about is shown in the attachment. If I select the D3D11 backend, then the Adapter pop up menu allows me to pick which adapter to use. If the OpenGL backend is selected, then the Adapter pop-up menu is greyed out and the error message shown is displayed.

Then if I launch a game, it uses the Intel HD graphics 630 adapter to render the game, even if the game is playing on the television screen, which is connected directly to the NVidia GPU. Performance is poor when this happens. I have to use the D3D11 or Vulkan backend to make games playable at high resolution, because I can select the GeForce 1060 GPU when those backends are selected.

[attachment=17600]
Set your primary monitor to the one hooked to your NVIDIA graphics card - that's just how OpenGL selects the graphics card.
(11-29-2018, 11:06 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Set your primary monitor to the one hooked to your NVIDIA graphics card - that's just how OpenGL selects the graphics card.

Thanks JMC. For logistical reasons, it's better to have the small monitor be my primary monitor, so I guess I'll just have to use Vulkan for now. 
(11-29-2018, 11:04 AM)GreenT Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand your advice. There is nowhere in the NVidia Control panel to "set a desired GPU for Dolphin." I have set Dolphin for maximum performance in NVidia Control Panel.

Oh, you're on desktop, didn't notice before. The problem you're having is very common on laptops with dedicated NVIDIA cards (where it can be "fixed" by selecting the desired GPU for Dolphin in NVIDIA Control Panel) so I assumed you were a laptop user too, sorry...