Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to use the cheat search function to locate code values that only ever change once
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I need some help. I understand how the cheat code search function and the AR code function works, and have been using them successfully to make a few working codes, despite knowing nothing at all about coding. What I do is I make a savestate every time a value changes, such as when I aquire more of a certain item in the game, or when I level up, and then after around 3 instances of such changes, I use the cheat code search function to narrow down the relevant line of code whose value I want to change, by making a search, loading a savestate, searching again, loading the next savestate, making the next search etc. Then after finding the right line of code, I change its value to what I want, and save it in the AR code list. It's all great.

But what about values that only ever changes once in a game, and then will never change again no matter what you do? I'm thinking of stuff like unique one-time only items that are also unsellable and unlosable, meaning their value will, I assume, go from 0 to 1 once you get them, and then after that they will never go up to 2, since you can't ever get any more of them, and they will also never go back down to 0, since you will never lose them in the game, and you can never sell them. I find trying to find the relevant line of code for such items using the search function to be impossible...I've tried starting a new game, searching before I've gotten the item, then loading a gamesave from after I have received the item and searching again, and then loading a different save from before I got the item again, and searchin again, but I haven't had any luck. In fact I didn't even have any luck trying this method with a one-time only item that could actually be sold either...Does anyone know how one would go about locating values such as these, and changing them to what I want? If so, could you tell/try to teach me how to do so? I appreciate any help.
Okay, now I'm not even having any success with an item that you can have multiple copies of...I guess the cheat search function isn't fullproof...
The Qt cheat search is terrible. Either try an older WX build (stable release build for example) or use an external search like: https://github.com/aldelaro5/Dolphin-mem...e/releases

Don't assume what the values are, it could be more complicated than that. Do unknown initial value searches. In Wx you just leave the search box blank entirely to do that.
"Qt" cheat search? I assume you're talking about the cheat search function in Dolphin? I have no idea what "qt" stands for or refers to. I also have no idea what you're talking about when you say "WX", sorry. I do do unknown intial value searches though. That said, I don't think I'm going to do any more searching or trying to make any more codes anyway. I'm kind of burned out, both from doing stuff like that, and from the game itself that I was working on.
(11-22-2018, 05:43 PM)Rokudaime Wrote: [ -> ]"Qt" cheat search? I assume you're talking about the cheat search function in Dolphin? I have no idea what "qt" stands for or refers to. I also have no idea what you're talking about when you say "WX", sorry.

The user interface for Dolphin was remade a little while ago. The old one used wxWidgets and the new one uses Qt.
Okay. *shrug*