Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Change where dolphin saves wii games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know you can change where dolphin stores the GC memory card, so you can in a sense control where the gamecube saves it's game. How do you do the same thing for wii games. Basically I want to change where wii games save.
You can't. While the Gamecube saves to memory cards, the Wii saves to internal memory, so you can't make it save somewhere else. The closest thing would be to take the Wii's save folder and create a symbolic link to somewhere else, but the saves will still be encrypted so it doesn't really matter. Why would you need to redirect saves anyways? I always assumed on the GCN it was so you could swap memory cards when swapping between games in different regions, but the Wii can save different region games in the correct place anyways.
You can change where wii games save! But you'll need to do that by changing the whole Wii NAND location. To do that, go to Config>Paths, and assign "Wii NAND Root" (if blank, it will always be the one in the Global User Directory). You'll have to bring your old NAND to the new location manually if you want your old saves there, and if not Dolphin will just create a new NAND in the location and use that.

This has the same advantages as changing the memory card location, since you can use this to switch NANDs much like the GameCube can switch memory cards.
(11-19-2018, 09:33 AM)SCOTT0852 Wrote: [ -> ]but the saves will still be encrypted so it doesn't really matter.

Dolphin stores the saves unencrypted.