Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can Wii access the computer's file system (via Dolphin)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

steel8

I was wondering, if the emulated Wii could access the files on the computer in any way. For instance, it would be devastating if the whole computer was formatted when you used the "Format Wii System Memory"-button.

So my question is - is the emulated Wii (or GameCube) completely isolated from the computer's file system (except for the data directories Dolphin uses)?
If you are using the latest development version of Dolphin, then yes, it is isolated.

If you are using an older version such as the 5.0 stable release, there is a bug that specifically crafted Wii software can use to access the contents of your computer (except files that are off limits for your user account). Any official software released for the Wii (such as the Wii Menu with its Format Wii System Memory button) does not exploit this Dolphin bug, so you're safe unless you run programs downloaded from suspicious places on the internet. But I would suggest using a recent development version of Dolphin either way.

steel8

(11-17-2018, 08:09 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using the latest development version of Dolphin, then yes, it is isolated.

If you are using an older version such as the 5.0 stable release, there is a bug that specifically crafted Wii software can use to access the contents of your computer (except files that are off limits for your user account). Any official software released for the Wii (such as the Wii Menu with its Format Wii System Memory button) does not exploit this Dolphin bug, so you're safe unless you run programs downloaded from suspicious places on the internet. But I would suggest using a recent development version of Dolphin either way.

Thank you very much, great to hear! Smile