Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Path of Radiance: Worked well with old processor, not well with new one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

daccat11

- Upgraded FX 6300 3.5 ghz to an FX 8300 3.3 ghz
- MAIN issue is audio stutter with minor fps drops
- Did not realize that Dolphin only uses like two cores so this is actually a net loss
- Now Path of Radiance runs with stutter on Dolphin 5.0
- I'm not sure if I have good enough specs to run it and Radiant Dawn well
- Was running an older version of 5.0, but uninstalled it, backing up my save data and save states for PoR thinking they would carry over to the latest version
- They are incompatible, PoR actually runs worse now at the behest of emulation accuracy, and I'm not even sure what version of 5.0 I was using, but I do have this screenshot of when it was working well on my old processor. Here is the screenshot:
[Image: IgCdeAB.jpg]
- The top of of the window reads "Dolphin 5.0 | JIT64DC | OpenGL | HLE"
- Keep in mind that this version gave me trouble as well, but if your fix includes going back to that version for troubleshooting, then maybe that's a good lead. I just want the game to run well, I'm happy to replay 3-4 hours to get back to where I was because cutscenes are skippable iirc
- Let me know if there's any other info I can provide. I realize this is kind of a monumental ask to request help on this, but I would greatly appreciate it.
- The rest of my specs are in my profile. I don't think it's against forum ToS, but I'd be happy to paypal someone who can get Fire Emblem PoR and RD working for me 10 bucks or something. If this isn't allowed, just let me know. I'm kinda desperate at this point.
What kind of upgrade is that? You realize that those FX chips suck at Dolphin (even with high overclocks) right?

Also, ideally you would want to use latest dev build, which has improvements and fixes.

daccat11

(11-16-2018, 07:30 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of upgrade is that? You realize that those FX chips suck at Dolphin (even with high overclocks) right?

Also, ideally you would want to use latest dev build, which has improvements and fixes.

I didn't buy it expressly for Dolphin, it's more so that this performance downgrade was an unintended consequence. Do you have any actual troubleshooting? In my post I stated that I am already using the latest build.
You got more cores but a lower clock speed.

Unfortunately for you, Dolphin doesn't care about anything besides the performance of roughly two cores. CPU emulation thread and GPU emulation thread.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#couldn...-go-faster
Try the latest -dev build (not just the 5.0 stable build, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "newer" 5.0), and try to use async ubershaders (I think with nvidia drivers the directx11 backend works best).
I didn't even notice they were on stable lmfao

daccat11

(11-16-2018, 08:50 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest -dev build (not just the 5.0 stable build, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "newer" 5.0), and try to use async ubershaders (I think with nvidia drivers the directx11 backend works best).

Didn't work unfortunately, actually ended up freezing on me. When I said newer, I meant using the newest dev version, which is what I did when I originally downloaded dolphin to play PoR. Anything else I can try?

EDIT: I'm actually getting the best performance and least bad audio stuttering when using 5.0 STABLE, although it's still not great. Using OpenAL audio with 15 ms of latency and the fast DSP Emulator Engine
If you're updating in-place, it may be worth trying to reset the settings (you can extract a new -dev package to a folder, then create a file called "portable.txt" next to the executable - this will make it ignore the global settings, effectively resetting them while still allowing you to go back by removing the file).

Some settings may no longer be the "fastest" on different versions. It's worth a try anyway Smile