Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: File name change got my games to crash?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using Dolphin for a while, but never had a problem like this. I recently got The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Soul Calibur II, both for the Gamecube, and ran their ISOs on Dolphin like the rest of my games. I played one session each, and then changed their names so they would be better formatted in my ISO folder. Then, next time I tried to boot them up, my Dolphin immediately crashed. I figured there was a problem with recognising the names, so I reverted the ISO names to their original name. Unfortunately, it still crashes! So I decide to delete the files and put them back on my computer. But no, it still crashes my Dolphin if I try to run one.

Now here's where things get interesting. I actually have 3 versions of Dolphin downloaded, and they all react differently. I've been using Dolphin 5.0-4703 for my personal games, but my friend and I downloaded Dolphin 5.0-8752 for Netplay testing, and I still have my old Dolphin 5.0-1828, because there was some sort of controller issue sometimes with the one I was using. So I tested the new downloads on each of the versions. 4703 is the one that causes the crashes, but 1828 doesn't even recognise the ISOs. If I open them manually, not using the default ISO selection thing, it works, but even if I refresh the ISOs they don't show up. For 8752, everything works fine, but since I downloaded that for Netplay I'm not sure I want to use that for my personal save files. The really odd thing is that, despite creating a save for the games, transferring my memory card doesn't also transfer the saves for these two games.

Because it works differently for my different versions, it's not exactly a critical problem. I can just download a new Dolphin version and transfer all my settings or whatever, replay the one session I had with each game. But I don't really understand how something like this could have happened.
I'm not sure about the crashing itself, but you probably have a portable.txt in at least some of the dolphin folders. (portable.txt makes dolphin save in the executable's folder instead of documents) You may also have the gamecube memory card location set to the same place in some of them.

The crash might be a cache problem or just a bug in the old version. Try to delete the cache folder.
It might also be easiest to have two versions of dolphin, both a recent dev build and the netplay one with a portable.txt