Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Magenta Flickers in Wiimm's Mario Kart Fun 2018-09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In certain tracks in Wiim's MK Fun 2018-09 (or while pausing in any track) the screen flashes magenta and a speedometer appears in the bottom-right corner of the magenta screen. When I use OpenGL the flashing is much more common and occurs on more tracks. Vulkan causes the flashing on the pause screen to stop, but still flashes occasionally mid-race. (I usually use d3d11) After spending 20 minutes getting in a race in software rendering, the flashing does not occur and the speedometer shows properly. This flashing does not occur in unpatched Mario Kart Wii, so it's something with Wiimm's pack. I haven't tested it on real hardware, but the speedometer looks like the one in CTGP-R (which can't be tested since it crashes immediately in dolphin, apparently it's for anti-cheat purposes). Anyone know how I can fix this since it's kind of annoying?
Disable "Store XFB Copies to Texture Only".

SCOTT0852 Wrote:After spending 20 minutes getting in a race in software rendering

Eh?
I believe you can either use Store XFB Copies to RAM or Single Core (not sure which issue you're running into.)
(11-14-2018, 12:41 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Disable "Store XFB Copies to Texture Only".

Eh?

It worked, thanks!

I tested software rendering because I assumed for a graphics-related issue you were supposed to test all backends (other than null, of course), but it ran so slowly that it took 20 minutes to get into a match. In addition, it solved the issue, so I figured that maybe mentioning it would help.
Yeah, Dolphin's Software Renderer isn't particularly good. Anyway, you may wanna try resetting your settings. I don't need XFB2RAM on Wiimm's latest track packs, so I have a feeling you somehow got interlacing enabled which breaks Dolphin badly.
(11-17-2018, 04:36 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, Dolphin's Software Renderer isn't particularly good.
I knew that, but I still wanted to test it out since it's a graphics related issue and I didn't know if it would help or not.
(11-17-2018, 04:36 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a feeling you somehow got interlacing enabled which breaks Dolphin badly.
Before you said this, I didn't realize that "Enable Progressive Scan" also affects Wii games as I only noticed the effects in Gamecube games, where an annoying "Enable Progressive Scan?" message popped up every time I wanted to play Melee. Thanks for telling me that!
(11-17-2018, 09:48 AM)SCOTT0852 Wrote: [ -> ]Before you said this, I didn't realize that "Enable Progressive Scan" also affects Wii games as I only noticed the effects in Gamecube games, where an annoying "Enable Progressive Scan?" message popped up every time I wanted to play Melee. Thanks for telling me that!

That setting doesn't do much. Open GFX.ini and make sure ForceProgressive is set to True, otherwise you can get weird issues caused by games trying to use interlaced modes, which Dolphin currently does not support. The setting is supposed to be enabled by default, but it was accidentally disabled in some older builds.
(11-17-2018, 11:40 AM)Techjar Wrote: [ -> ]That setting doesn't do much. Open GFX.ini and make sure ForceProgressive is set to True, otherwise you can get weird issues caused by games trying to use interlaced modes, which Dolphin currently does not support. The setting is supposed to be enabled by default, but it was accidentally disabled in some older builds.

It's already enabled.