Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Equipment to Rip Wii Games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

KL8N2K5

Hello, I'd like to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and am wondering if any seperate drives are required to rip a Wii game since downloading is illegal. Anyone know?
Nah.

If you have a wii (or even a wii u), it can all be done with free softmods and homebrew.

After hacking it, just use Cleanrip to dump the games.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip
Theoretically there are certain drives that are able to read gamecube and wii discs with a special software, but i haven't read about anybody not having problems with that software. On top of that SSBB is a dual layer disc which is much harder to read, it might be possible that said software can't read dual layer discs properly at all.

It's highly recommended to dump games via Cleanrip running on a softmodded wii or wii u.
(11-12-2018, 07:45 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]Theoretically there are certain drives that are able to read gamecube and wii discs with a special software, but i haven't read about anybody not having problems with that software. On top of that SSBB is a dual layer disc which is much harder to read, it might be possible that said software can't read dual layer discs properly at all.

I used to use one of those drives. They worked fine and dual-layer discs ripped as well. The dumps took forever though. Dual-layered discs usually took ~8 hours. Use a Wii if you can.
Adding another vote for just using a Wii with homebrew. I recently had to buy another Wii to use in place of my old one. Homebrew setup is pretty much flawless, foolproof, and fast these days. Used Wiis are cheap (thrift stores have then for $10 or $15 easily) probably cost less than any compatible drive on average.
While one can also homebrew a Wii U, I believe it's a riskier business (as it lack some of the Wii's bricking resistance), so the standard Wii tends to be preferable.
Not really sure where you got that idea from.
I'd looked into it a few years ago; I don't recall if either of these threads are the ones I'd found, but both of them also reference the issue:
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140102154452AAkJZ54 | www.reddit.com/r/WiiHacks/comments/3idjtu/wanna_put_homebrew_on_my_wii_u_what_are_the/
there are no brick protections on the Wii or Wii U....

If you fuck up your IOS you fuck up your IOS. doesn't matter which console it's on.

The only exception being some very old Wiis can install Bootmii in boot2 or whatever it's called, but you need a very old Wii to even do that, so it's not really worth relying on.
Ah; that would make sense.