Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What's the meaning of "+-" and "-+" for Axes and Sliders?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's "Slider 0+-" and "Slider 0-+" besides "Slider 0+" and "Slider 0-", but I never figured out what they mean and what's the difference between them.
I tried a quick google and had no luck. The controller section of the Dolphin wiki says
Quote:NOTE: If the controller is significantly off center in Dolphin but nowhere else, check all controller axis to see if one has a "+-" on it. This is not supposed to happen and is the source of your bug.
but no further explanation.
Could anyone tell me what do they exactly mean?
Thank you.
I'm not completely sure about your question, but from my knowledge, the "+" and/or "-" next to a certain Axis (e.g.: 'AxisX+' or 'AxisX-') represents the value received by the computer in relation to moving the corresponding physical 'stick'. Normally, if I recall correctly, the maximum value the "+" in an Axis reproduces is of 255, which the computer interprets as "The stick is being moved to the left", and with those numbers, it interprets how far the stick is being moved. The contrary happens with the "-", which minimal value is 0.

Either way, for a direction to be interpreted correctly the way it's meant to be, you shouldn't have "-+" or "+-" but just a sign (that being said, either "+" or "-"); which leads me to think that having both would cause your controller to be off-centered (like the controller section mentions) because it's not properly 'dictating' an specific direction.
(That's what I interpreted myself... I hope it's easy to understand!)
(11-16-2018, 12:02 PM)Nichirin-no-Seishi Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not completely sure about your question, but from my knowledge, the "+" and/or "-" next to a certain Axis (e.g.: 'AxisX+' or 'AxisX-') represents the value received by the computer in relation to moving the corresponding physical 'stick'. Normally, if I recall correctly, the maximum value the "+" in an Axis reproduces is of 255, which the computer interprets as "The stick is being moved to the left", and with those numbers, it interprets how far the stick is being moved. The contrary happens with the "-", which minimal value is 0.

Either way, for a direction to be interpreted correctly the way it's meant to be, you shouldn't have "-+" or "+-" but just a sign (that being said, either "+" or "-"); which leads me to think that having both would cause your controller to be off-centered (like the controller section mentions) because it's not properly 'dictating' an specific direction.
(That's what I interpreted myself... I hope it's easy to understand!)

I completely understand what a seperate "+" or "-" means...
I just want to know if there's a meaning for "+-" and "-+"... or there is not?
(11-17-2018, 09:12 PM)amiboss Wrote: [ -> ]I completely understand what a seperate "+" or "-" means...
I just want to know if there's a meaning for "+-" and "-+"... or there is not?

Considering what I wrote in my lenghty and unnecesary 'analysis'...
I suppose there is no meaning in "-+" or "+-" other than it being an "incorrect direction sign".
After all, what it says in the controller section is: "This is not supposed to happen and is the source of your bug." (that bug being a "significantly off-centered controller")

On another note, I'm guessing "+-" is more off-centered to the right, since the + sign is first and "-+" is more off-centered to the left, since the - sign is first.
(btw, it's almost impossible to search anything in Google with a "+" or "-" sign in its name, since Google uses that for "advanced searches"; I recommend that you use "plus" and "minus", if you haven't tried yet)
The "-+" and "+-" inputs represent the "full surface" of a particular axis. This is useful for devices that present their pressure sensitive triggers on the complete negative-to-positive range of a single axis.