Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recycle old SandyBridge CPU for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

FuXXz

Hello,
I am new here and do not spend much time with Dolphin, so I need your help.
I would like to build a PC for Dolphin, but have no idea what I need or if I can use my old hardware:
Quad Core Intel Core i5-2400, 3200 MHz
Intel Cougar Point H67, Intel Sandy Bridge
8GB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
For my PC, I will soon buy a new graphics card and then I could use my current GTX970 for the Dolphin PC.
Should I forget that or am I getting enough performance?
Thank you for your time and help.
Depends on the games.

Some will run fine, some won't.

FuXXz

Thank you!
So the limiting part is the CPU?
the GPU should work with all games or not?
(11-01-2018, 01:44 PM)FuXXz Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you!
So the limiting part is the CPU?
the GPU should work with all games or not?

The 970 is fine, the main thing you need to focus on is the cpu since dolphin relies heavily on the cpu side to do most of the emulation work.
You might have some luck with a couple of games, considering your CPU is from the same gen as mine and has a higher STR (has slightly faster cores):

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Int...M/793vs876

FuXXz

Ok!
"you might have some luck with a couple of games" sounds not good to me. Maybe i should not loose time and money to build up my old hardware Smile
I also wanted to buy a mini ITX motherboard for the old cpu, maybe a poor idea

Because dolphin does not benefit from more than 4 cores, a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X is not good
Maybe a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 4x 3.50GHz?
Basically a fast (above 3GHz base clock) 3rd/4th gen i5 or i7 is good for a lot of games on dolphin except a few outliers, but you will also probably hit a few spots in some of the more demanding games where you won't be running at full speed.
For AMD don't go any older then Ryzen or you will have many performance issues. On Ryzen if you get the Ryzen 3 then don't forget about overclocking and you should get some nice performance. You will probably still have a few games that will not run well and some spots on demanding games that won't run at full speed, but most games should be fine.
(11-01-2018, 12:53 PM)FuXXz Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
I am new here and do not spend much time with Dolphin, so I need your help.
I would like to build a PC for Dolphin, but have no idea what I need or if I can use my old hardware:
Quad Core Intel Core i5-2400, 3200 MHz
Intel Cougar Point H67, Intel Sandy Bridge
8GB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
For my PC, I will soon buy a new graphics card and then I could use my current GTX970 for the Dolphin PC.
Should I forget that or am I getting enough performance?
Thank you for your time and help.

Considering my i5-2500 and an RX 470 8gb had no problem running dolphin, you should be fine. I use MP Trilogy as a benchmark since it's very demanding. My current setup with a OCed 3570k and same GPU runs MP Trilogy at 60fps 1080p IR, 16x anisotropic filtering and 8x MSAA with synchronous ubershaders on. you should have no problems with 1080p on that machine. 

FuXXz

I just want to play these Fun/Party Games in the Wii. Maria Kart, Mario World or Party...i dont know all the names Smile
Dance games or tennis.

I just found a Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz in my trash Box, i will give him a try Smile