Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: PC good enough to run Xenoblade Chronicles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

lundvir

Heya. I was going through some old threads, and found multiple people saying different things regarding whether this level of rig would be able to run the game without audio stuttering or huge fps drops, so I'm posting here to see if someone would be able to tell me how it would go. The main game I'm trying to run is Xenoblade Chronicles.
CPU: AMD A10-9600P 2.4GHz (quad-core)
GPU: (APU) AMD Radeon R5
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133

I've tried, so far, Dolphin version 5.0-8987, and tried many combinations of settings and still get minor FPS drops in the beginning cutscene (which are insignificant mostly), coupled with huge amounts of audio stuttering and crackling. So just wondering if the hardware itself is the issue here.
I've tried Direct3D11, which gives me slightly better audio, but with the inability to see the menu and other selection options, as well as openGL, which gives slightly (only a little bit though) worse audio but with video/FPS being smoother. I've tried HLE and the two LLE options (recompiler and interpreter), as well as running the game with the CPU clock override at 125% as per a suggestion I saw, VSync on and off, Store EFB to Texture only on and off, and all combinations of the above options.
Thank you.
(10-31-2018, 05:24 PM)lundvir Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried, so far, Dolphin version 5.0-8987, and tried many combinations of settings and still get minor FPS drops in the beginning cutscene (which are insignificant mostly), coupled with huge amounts of audio stuttering and crackling. So just wondering if the hardware itself is the issue here.
I've tried Direct3D11, which gives me slightly better audio, but with the inability to see the menu and other selection options, as well as openGL, which gives slightly (only a little bit though) worse audio but with video/FPS being smoother. I've tried HLE and the two LLE options (recompiler and interpreter), as well as running the game with the CPU clock override at 125% as per a suggestion I saw, VSync on and off, Store EFB to Texture only on and off, and all combinations of the above options.
Thank you.

Are you mostly trying to get the audio to not break? If so you could probably enabled Audio Stretching to help the problem if you computer can't keep up no matter what. Also increasing the CPU clock is only going to make it worse if your computer can't keep up as is, if anything you could maybe try lowering it.
(10-31-2018, 05:24 PM)lundvir Wrote: [ -> ]Heya. I was going through some old threads, and found multiple people saying different things regarding whether this level of rig would be able to run the game without audio stuttering or huge fps drops, so I'm posting here to see if someone would be able to tell me how it would go. The main game I'm trying to run is Xenoblade Chronicles.
CPU: AMD A10-9600P 2.4GHz (quad-core)
GPU: (APU) AMD Radeon R5
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133

I've tried, so far, Dolphin version 5.0-8987, and tried many combinations of settings and still get minor FPS drops in the beginning cutscene (which are insignificant mostly), coupled with huge amounts of audio stuttering and crackling. So just wondering if the hardware itself is the issue here.
Thank you.

Do not move dolphin's CPU override, especially upwards. It makes the emulated Wii faster which makes it even harder for your actual computer to run. However, that CPU is pretty bad for Dolphin anyway. Despite being a 'new' processor it's based on the same Excavator arch as my 860K... Being a ULV chip means that its clock speed also means that its clock speed just isn't fast enough to run Xenoblade chronicles well. They have really bad IPC so they need really high clocks in order to get half decent performance on Dolphin. If putting the override back to normal and all other settings to defaults (defaults on dolphin are generally the fastest settings) doesn't fix it... Then yes, it's your hardware.
Could also try underclocking the emulated CPU if you're fine with probably breaking some games and we won't help you there.