Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OSX Mojave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

is Metal going to be supported in the future? I see today Dolphin is almost not usable with Mojave.

Thanks
There is currently zero interest in supporting metal directly for dolphin*. All the work for a whole backend for a single OS just isn't worth it, and some features that dolphin requires are simply missing from metal.

There's an attempt at using one of the vulkan->metal wrappers in a PR here: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/7039 - it may work for you - YMMV.

[*] that just means I'm not aware of anyone currently in the dolphin dev community interested. But as it's open source development, it doesn't stop some other interested developer taking it upon themselves - but they'll probably have a difficult time getting it merged, as we've been burned before on single-OS backends using APIs that only one dev knows how it works - like when that dev disappears or simply cannot keep the backend up to date with any modifications required for other dolphin improvements.
Thank you for your reply
...Dolphin is plenty usable on Mojave, or at least, it's no less usable on Mojave than any other version of macOS. It has less good performance than its Windows counterpart, and Macs tend to be relatively low powered in general.

The MoltenVK build has vastly improved performance for me. But I have a 1080 Ti. Everything ultimately comes down to your hardware.