Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just Dance 2018 goes very slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

clorophilla

I guess this also happens on Just Dance 2014-2017.

When you finish a song for the first time, you receive a sticker and an avatar, then you are redirected to a "yearbook-styled avatar" page.

On this moment, GPU usage shoots to 100% and game slows down so much that it looks like Dolphin would crash.

I'm using Multiple of 640x528 for scaling, but happens on native resolution too.

Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Here's a video showing it, just go to the end of it. Just Dance 2018 Wii slowdown

Default settings I use are on attachments.
(10-21-2018, 10:35 AM)clorophilla Wrote: [ -> ]I guess this also happens on Just Dance 2014-2017.

When you finish a song for the first time, you receive a sticker and an avatar, then you are redirected to a "yearbook-styled avatar" page.

On this moment, GPU usage shoots to 100% and game slows down so much that it looks like Dolphin would crash.

I'm using Multiple of 640x528 for scaling, but happens on native resolution too.

Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Here's a video showing it, just go to the end of it. Just Dance 2018 Wii slowdown

Default settings I use are on attachments.

0: that CPU is terribly slow.
1: GPU shooting to 100% means it is a GPU bottleneck though, so most important here: What is the native resolution of the screen you are using to play at?
2: Try to set up 1x (Native) IR instead of multiple of 640x528 and see if that helps.

3: I see in your config that you are using SSAA, keep in mind that for this game it does basically nothing except make it much harder on your GPU, since the dancers are FMV and not 3D rendered. Even MSAA won't do anything to fix this.

What SSAA does is actually increase the resolution Horizontal*Vertical by the amount you have set up (thus making it so at 4xSSAA (Horizontal*4)*(Vertical*4). This means that if you are running a 4k resolution it will actually become an 8k resolution, which your GPU is unable to handle, even 4k might already be too much for it.

On the other hand this game (IIRC) makes heavily use of XFB/EFB to show FMV's and that kinda stuff, which is notoriously "hard" to emulate on PC GPU's.

clorophilla

(10-23-2018, 01:16 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]0: that CPU is terribly slow.
1: GPU shooting to 100% means it is a GPU bottleneck though, so most important here: What is the native resolution of the screen you are using to play at?
2: Try to set up 1x (Native) IR instead of multiple of 640x528 and see if that helps.

3: I see in your config that you are using SSAA, keep in mind that for this game it does basically nothing except make it much harder on your GPU, since the dancers are FMV and not 3D rendered. Even MSAA won't do anything to fix this.

What SSAA does is actually increase the resolution Horizontal*Vertical by the amount you have set up (thus making it so at 4xSSAA (Horizontal*4)*(Vertical*4). This means that if you are running a 4k resolution it will actually become an 8k resolution, which your GPU is unable to handle, even 4k might already be too much for it.

On the other hand this game (IIRC) makes heavily use of XFB/EFB to show FMV's and that kinda stuff, which is notoriously "hard" to emulate on PC GPU's.

0:Yes, it's slow, but i'm still looking for a Wii/GC game that gives trouble with it.
2:I already set the resolution to Native before coming here, thanks.
3:As you pointed out, SSAA is the culprit here. Even though it doesn't help with the dancers themselves, the menu is another story. I set it down to 4x and now it's stable at this point.

Well, thanks to you, this is solved. I'll have this in mind for JD2019.