Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Weird random lags when playing Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

purplepauli

Hello everyone!,

A few weeks ago I tried using Dolphin on my new laptop for the first time, and while the two games I'm trying to play (FE Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) run perfectly fine, there is an really annoying issue for both games I can't seem to get rid of:

Whenever I play, at some random time the game speed, FPS and VPS will all suddenly drop to like 10%, 9FPS/9VPS and the like. This state lasts for ca. 20 seconds, then it slowly goes back to its normal state.

I haven't found any pattern when these lags happen, but I noticed that they happened way more often in Radiant Dawn than in Path of Radiance and they also very likely occured whenever I tried saving or loading a save state (only in case of Radiant Dawn though).

I've already tried many things to solve this annoying problem - I tried out different versions of dolphin (3.5, 4.0, 5.0, the latest dev build and Ishiruuka), I watched tutorials on which settings to choose and I tried following the laptop gaming tutorial in this forum (changing the power setting for nvidia and stuff), but nothing has helped so far. I'm also plenty shure that my laptop isn't overheating when I play.

Has any one in here encountered similiar issues or knows how to solve them? I would REALLY appreciate your help Smile

ASUS F756U
Windows 10 x64
Intel® Core i7-7500 CPU @ 2.70 GHz 2.90 GHZ
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 940Mx
(10-20-2018, 01:36 AM)purplepauli Wrote: [ -> ]they also very likely occured whenever I tried saving or loading a save state (only in case of Radiant Dawn though).

I'm also plenty shure that my laptop isn't overheating when I play.

Are you still using normal saves (I wouldn't rely on savestates)? What are your temperatures?

purplepauli

My temperatures are like between 60 and 75 C (I read somewhere that 85 C or more are considered as overheating?)
The savestates were just for testing purposes since my iMac usually crashes whenever I try to load one (but my Mac runs Dolphin way worse in general, thats why I wanted to switch to my laptop).