Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Paper Mario TTYD Widescreen Hack issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hazeclaw

Hi! With this game, I'm using the Gecko Code widescreen hack from the game's Dolphin Wiki page. There are three codes listed; "Centered HUD", "Stretched HUD" and "Centered HUD, some letterboxing". The first two works great aestethically, but causes random frame drop stutters lasting about one second every 30 seconds or so, which makes the game hard to play comfortably. The third option gets rid of the stuttering problem, but causes the letterboxes that shows up in cutscenes and general dialogue to only cover a 4:3 ratio of the screen, as shown here:
[Image: mXdjlpA.jpg]

In regards to the stuttering issue of the first two options, I've heard other people having the same problem. I've tried different aspect ratios and resolutions, tried changing between DirectX11 and 9, OpenGL and Vulkan, tried disabling dual core and V-sync, and even turned the texture pack I'm using off, but none of it fixes this stutter, so I don't believe my specs are causing the issue. Also, the game runs relatively smooth aside from the stutter.

Concerning the third gecko code option, usage makes the whole game kinda look as if I was using the widescreen hack option in the graphic settings (which is turned off). In addition to the inaccurate letterbox length, both sides are glitching out upon entering new areas, as shown here:
[Image: 7WXM473.png]
I can deal with this though. The narrow letterbox is the more annoying issue.

I guess some of this is to be expected from a code labeled "some letterboxing", but if there's a way to at least widen the letterbox to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio, that'd be great. I've read about this happening to other games as well, though I'm unsure if these situations was in regard to Gecko codes or to the widescreen hack option in graphics settings only.

Are there any settings, codes or methods that I've overlooked? I'm playing on Ishiiruka Dolphin, and my specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820  3,6GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780
RAM: 16GB

A fix for any of these problems would be great!  Big Grin
Dolphin's code handler was updated some time ago and while this update made Gecko Codes work better, it introduced occasional stuttering. My suggestion is replacing Sys\codehandler.bin and Sys\totaldb.dsy from your current Dolphin build with the ones that we shipped in 5.0 stable, then trying the widescreen code which doesn't exhibit the letterboxing issue (keep in mind that doing this might actually introduce more issues than before). If that fixes your stuttering, great, if not, revert to the current codehandler.bin and totaldb.dsy to avoid weird issues with Gecko Codes...

Hazeclaw

Replacing those files did the trick! Thank you very much!