Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Merv Griffin's Crosswords will not load
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ChrisSaturn

This shouldn't be anyone's priority, but I felt I should probably at least mention it.

Several years ago, I ripped all of my GCN and Wii games onto an external HDD for use with Dolphin and my Wii. They all work fine on the Wii, and all but one work fine on Dolphin. The only game that doesn't work is Merv Griffin's Crosswords. It's shovelware. I can understand that it probably wasn't tested much (if at all), but it never even gets to the title screen. The error shown in the attached image occurs during the first loading screen.

My specs are as follows:
Windows 10 1809 x64
i7-7700HQ
24GB DDR4-2400 RAM
nVideo GeForce GTX 1070

In case the image doesn't upload, the error reads:
"[Warning]

IntCPU: Unknown instruction 00000000 at PC = 804a0008  last_PC = 8132ffc8  LR = 804a0000

Ignore and continue?"

Clicking "Yes" causes the error to come right back, and clicking either "Ignore for this session" or "No" causes the entire program to crash to Windows.

I check this every 4-6 months or so to see if there's any change, but it still gets to the same point every time. Normally I'd just ignore it and keep waiting until it works some day, but I checked the compatibility wiki and saw that it says it works. Am I doing something wrong, or does the wiki have incorrect info?

Let me know if there's anything more you need from me for diagnostics.
1. Have you tired using Single core mode?
2. Right click on the game in Dolphin's game list, go to Properties, and then the Filesystem tab. Right click on each of the Partitions and Check Partition Integrity. If any of them fail, you should redump the game.
3. Have you tried changing from the JIT Recompiler over to the Interpreter? It'll be really slow, but it could be a JIT bug

ChrisSaturn

(10-16-2018, 03:25 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]1. Have you tired using Single core mode?
2. Right click on the game in Dolphin's game list, go to Properties, and then the Filesystem tab. Right click on each of the Partitions and Check Partition Integrity. If any of them fail, you should redump the game.
3. Have you tried changing from the JIT Recompiler over to the Interpreter? It'll be really slow, but it could be a JIT bug

Thanks for your response.

1) I tried turning off dual core mode, but I got the same error at the same point.
2) I checked the partition integrity on the only partition that Dolphin reports for the game, and it says no errors found.
3) I tried switching to the Interpreter, but I'm not seeing any change there, either.

I appreciate your suggestions. Are there any other suggestions I should try? Is there anyone else who could try the game in another environment to see if it's just me?
If the wiki states the game was working before, then I guess you will have to make a bisect.

First, get 5.0 stable and check if the game does work. If it does, then do the bisect from there. You might be able to find the build that broke the game.

ChrisSaturn

(10-18-2018, 07:49 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]If the wiki states the game was working before, then I guess you will have to make a bisect.

First, get 5.0 stable and check if the game does work. If it does, then do the bisect from there. You might be able to find the build that broke the game.

Thank you! I went back to 5.0 stable, and it was working fine. So I just started downloading some random builds to see if I could figure out where the break was, and it still works as far as 5.0-681, and the crash seems to start occurring with version 5.0-686.

I'm guessing that a bisect is some split in the code to help diagnose this issue, but I'm not sure how to do that or what to do about it. I'm not sure what more I can do to help troubleshoot this issue, but I'm more than happy to help.
Um, there´s an actual bisect tool you can use. Just search it in the forums.

ChrisSaturn

(10-18-2018, 10:10 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Um, there´s an actual bisect tool you can use. Just search it in the forums.

I'm trying the bisect tool, and it's just loading 5.0-681 and 5.0-686 over and over, occasionally stopping to say "Error extracting. Probably a missing build. Skipping this build." How long should this go on? I'm about 5 cycles in of each version.
[EDIT]
It just kept opening those two over and over. I tried to kill the bisect tool, but those two versions of Dolphin just kept popping up over and over until I rebooted my computer. Something caused that tool to glitch. Sad