Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Contrary To Popular Belief, Dolphin Does Not Boot Every Single GameCube Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About 140 .elfs doesn’t boot from the official GameCube Software Development Kit.
I have the high ground now mortals.
We can't look at the SDK; if we did, it would taint us. So that doesn't count!
(10-16-2018, 09:51 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]We can't look at the SDK; if we did, it would taint us. So that doesn't count!

If the whole point of the Dolphin is to help bring games like stuff developed for the GameCube for PC and help preserve it. Then it’s kind of ironic that it does not acknowledge the beginning of them.
In other words, we should know what Nintendo shown off to the developers of the GameCube and why for historical reasons.
Besides what if we find an unreleased game that uses what the software Development Kit uses? We won’t be able to play it for a huge while!
(10-16-2018, 09:51 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]We can't look at the SDK; if we did, it would taint us. So that doesn't count!

Technically, we can, but only in about 70+ years once the copyrights expire. Getting hyped, any day now!
(10-16-2018, 10:18 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Technically, we can, but only in about 70+ years once the copyrights expire. Getting hyped, any day now!

Joke’s on you, I bought it legally from a selller.
Where and how you get the SDK is irrelevant.

Dolphin is only able to exist because we are "clean-room" (aka, no developer information) reverse engineering the hardware, thanks to past lawsuits and things establishing precedent. Anyone who sees any developer documentation is tainted and cannot perform clean-room development. If we allowed tainted code into the project, the entire project would be put into jeopardy as Nintendo could sue us. At best it would be an extremely costly legal mess to remove all the tainted code, but at worst, it could destroy the project entirely!

So um, if you submit a PR to Dolphin, we're going to have to refuse you.
(10-16-2018, 10:26 AM)SuperUltraLord79 Wrote: [ -> ]Joke’s on you, I bought it legally from a selller.

If you're talking about buying the SDK from someone, technically even if you owned it, you couldn't use any information from it to help with Dolphin. It's Nintendo's SDK, which means all of the materials therein are copyrighted to them, even if they sold it to 3rd party devs, and even if you legally purchased it. The SDK is a bunch of code + documentation (+ a software license, probably, I've never seen any official console SDKs myself), but copyright is the killer legality when it comes to using that for emulation. Once that all expires, our grandkids (or great-grandkids) are free to do whatever they want with the SDK. The biggest issue with that is that human society has to survive another 70 years, and the outlook on that last time I checked...

We're (for the most part) free to reverse-engineer any commercial software that is legally obtained, and use that information to contribute to Dolphin. Maylmilae commented on that above me about clean-room stuff and all that.
Also from a legality perspective, I'd be willing to bet that the licensing your seller agreed to forbade them from reselling it. You buying it doesn't make it legal.
(10-16-2018, 10:39 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Where and how you get the SDK is irrelevant.

Dolphin is only able to exist because we are "clean-room" (aka, no developer information) reverse engineering the hardware, thanks to past lawsuits and things establishing precedent. Anyone who sees any developer documentation is tainted and cannot perform clean-room development. If we allowed tainted code into the project, the entire project would be put into jeopardy as Nintendo could sue us. At best it would be an extremely costly legal mess to remove all the tainted code, but at worst, it could destroy the project entirely!

So um, if you submit a PR to Dolphin, we're going to have to refuse you.

Some managed to boot though.