Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: October win10 and newest intel drivers - share experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have decided to upgrade win10 installation, in hope overall stabilty, as far ok. I have installed also newest intel drivers, intel improves lately vulkan driver, i wanted to know how both will cooperate in dolphin. Short test with MK Wii in first stage, not much testing really but first impressions with backends:
Vulkan smooth and stable but very occasional slowdowns with no reason, also good with ubershaders/asynchronous, not much difference?
Dx11 has lowest gpu usage and smoothest playgame, no usable with ubershaders/asynchronous though, because gpu usage goes very high then
Opengl worse experience, chokes, and no go with ubershaders/asynchronous - game doesn't even want to start

It's visible how much effort intel puts into vulkan drivers, some of you may revise tests made some back in time. Also shaders precompilation works too.

just for sake, right i have dolphin build v 8817
Oh, I'm not the only one experiencing small slowdowns for no reason with Vulkan recently. By me, it's with a NVidia GTX 970M, but occured also after the Windows 10 October Update. Not sure if it's linked though...
As someone who has spent a lot of time with dolphin on an AMD card and having recently switched to an nVidia one, I've found that the Vulkan back-end is simple not as good a choice as the other two because it is neither the fastest nor does it play well with ubershaders. The best for me has been D311 with either card for a nice balance between raw performance and shader stuttering control. This is in Windows, though.