Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hook address
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Wiitendo84

So I have tries searching the board and forums for this answer but haven't found it. Is there a way to find the hook address for gamecube games when searching for cheat codes? I am trying to make a specific master code for the action replay but I haven't been able to find the address in dolphins search engine nor anywhere else online. Truth is my dad had gotten his gamecube out of the garage and he decided he wanted to play spyro a heros tail but there were no codes made for it in the usa so I found the addresses in dolphin but not the hook portion. Any help would be appreciated.
What exactly are you planning to do with the hook address? What does it hook?

When you say hook in combination with cheat codes, i think of the hook inserted into the game's executable, that jumps to the cheat engine, so the codes are executed. That's the way codes work on the actual hardware. I'm not sure if Dolphin does that for action replay. Dolphin does not use a hook for Gecko/Ocarina codes for example, and instead it runs the cheat engine on a timer.
The hooks are usually on a common SDK function that executes every game frame. It is usually on VIWaitforRetrace. The hook always ends the function.

Wiitendo84

Essentially it's so that I can use the address to convert it into the master code for an action replay. Back in the day we used gcnrd to do this but some games did not work at all on it. But yeah the hook was always used for the master code so that the cheats worked.