Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cliche: FPS Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To whom it may concern:
I recently got this whole dolphin gig figured out (at least for the most part).
It's pretty cool to be playing such demanding games on computer, that is, it would be incredibly cool if I were able to play them at full speed.
I've briefly scanned the forums and my problem's cliche.
The game isn't running at a decent speed.
I only have two games: Zelda Windwaker and Super Smash Brothers Melee.
Without any tweaks or option changes, they run at 100% ~60FPS in the menu, but when it comes to rendering 3D stuff, it's slow: about 50-70% speed, not sure of the frame rate.
In any case, I've tried many things: enabling dual core, that one idle skipping option, and a few other things, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. In some cases, the game seems to run slower.

Anyway here are my specs:
Hp Pavilion dv3000 (it's a small 13.3" laptop but it packs power with most of its punches)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @2.00Ghz
RAM: 4.00GB DDR2, can't remember what brand (it's 2 2GB cards, not 1 4GB)
VGA: nVidia GeForce 9300M GS (512MB dedicated)
Hard drive: 300GB 5400 RPM, don't feel like looking up the brand
I think it's WD

Would this be able to render most GC games at full speed or not?
Again, I've tried a few suggested simple tweaks, but they didn't work.
Btw, I'm using the x64 dolphin, and people say that the IL version is faster. For me it seems that the opposite is the case, so I use the non-IL version.
And if I'm not mistaken, I think I have the newest version of dolphin. I downloaded the latest version a few days ago, so it's not like I'm using version 1.0 Wink

Thanks for the helpSmile
Cheers
-Soos
your processor is too weak
Are you serious? I thought I saw a person say that they have a 2.0 Ghz processor and it works fine with them?
Are you sure it's too weak? There aren't any alternative ways?
At least to boost the speed by a few extra percent without skipping real frames.
Actually, it could be your graphics card. It sounds pretty low-end to me, and I think the GS part of it indicates it is a low-end card of the series. Try using the native resolution at 640x480 and turn off any AA or AF and any other eye candy features and see if it runs any faster. Also, did you try Direct3D9 plugin? It's supposed to be the faster than OpenGL now.
(12-03-2009, 07:41 AM)a mad pigeon Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, it could be your graphics card. It sounds pretty low-end to me, and I think the GS part of it indicates it is a low-end card of the series. Try using the native resolution at 640x480 and turn off any AA or AF and any other eye candy features and see if it runs any faster. Also, did you try Direct3D9 plugin? It's supposed to be the faster than OpenGL now.
What's the native resolution?
Does that mean setting my desktop resolution to 640 x 480?
I can't do that because the minimum is 800 x 600.
What's AA and AF?
And where do I get the direct3d9?
Thanks
enable the native checkbox
2. no
3. Anti Aliasing + anisotropic filtering
and your gpu is fine it's your cpu thats to weak
he should still be able to run at least melee at full speed i can and my laptop sucks and wind waker with a frameskipping setting of 1 or 2 runs full speed for me as well so it shouldn't be that much of a problem for him
Is that with the Direct3D 9 plugin or Open GL?
Direct3D 9 Plugin my graphics card doesn't support opengl 2.1 so i can't use OGL plugin
(12-04-2009, 09:49 PM)ugoo Wrote: [ -> ]Direct3D 9 Plugin my graphics card doesn't support opengl 2.1 so i can't use OGL plugin

That makes sense because if your PC isn't as powerful as mine, it would have to have problems with Open GL because mine runs Open GL at really slow speeds, but I tried direct X and it's working pretty well.
Thanks.