Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Input Lag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Has anyone found a way to reduce the input lag to lower then 4 frames? I get between 3 and 4 frames on just about every game. I searched for an hour and haven't found any thread mentioning this.
Not sure how much you need, but you can try this:

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/11/19/...resent-xfb
(09-30-2018, 01:20 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how much you need, but you can try this:

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/11/19/...resent-xfb

Its funny because i read that long ago and now that you pointed it out i remember.  I tried this and it didnt so anything.  Im testing this by pausing the game and advancing the frame in mm9 on wii.  its alwasy 4 frames before he jumps with and without this on.  I turned off the xfb to texture only but still doesnt change anything...i wonder if its something with the game
I tested it with Passthrough and I got lower latency than my console when using exclusive fullscreen + noXFB in games. I believe Mega Man 9 needs XFB2Tex, though, so you're bound to get the same latency as console at the minimum.
(10-01-2018, 12:52 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I tested it with Passthrough and I got lower latency than my console when using exclusive fullscreen + noXFB in games. I believe Mega Man 9 needs XFB2Tex, though, so you're bound to get the same latency as console at the minimum.

Does anyone know what the actual console frame delay is though? I just want to make sure I’m not getting additional lag, currently my two test games are mega man 9 which is 4 frames before reaction and super Mario sunshine with 3 frames before reaction. Does that sound right?
Just to be clear, frame advancing is for testing internal game lag, not monitor lag. If you have 4 frames lag after the console detected you pressed A (you can see that by showing inputs on display), there's nothing else to do.
But it sounds a bit strange for Megaman tbh.
(10-02-2018, 07:33 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]Just to be clear, frame advancing is for testing internal game lag, not monitor lag. If you have 4 frames lag after the console detected you pressed A (you can see that by showing inputs on display), there's nothing else to do.
But it sounds a bit strange for Megaman tbh.

I agree but I did a side by side with the actual wii and did the button press at the same time and they seemed to be in sync...could it be that mm9 and 10 and the cube/wii in general have 3-4 frames before reaction? I tested all 3D Mario games sunshine, galaxy 1 and 2 and they all come in at 3 frames. My tv is a new 4K led with 14ms with game mode on so I don’t think the monitor is adding anything plus I’m only concerned with the internal lag anyways. Can someone else run a test on their system and see what these games are coming in at for the internal frame lag only the monitor or tv will be different for everyone but the emulator should be the same. I just want to make sure I’m getting he best response out of it.