Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can these processors run EVERYTHING in dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am between Ryzen 2700 and the intel Intel I3-8350k. Can these processors run everything in dolphin including Star Wars rogue squadron or need for speed hot pursuit 2 (i love this game) full speed? Can i play mario kart or smash bros with 4 players in full speed? Which of these two processors should be better? These processors will be used with a r9 380x and 8gb ram.
Yes, the Intel CPU should be better, I want to say that the Ryzen CPU should be fine for Rogue Squadron but I haven't used a Ryzen CPU yet so I don't know real world perf with Dolphin on it, just POVRay scores Wink
Which one of the RS games? RS3 is not even playable right now according to the wiki.

About the other one, yes, you can. And yes again, you will be able to do multiplayer without lagging. I´d pick the i3 for better chances.
Thank you all. I am considering the ryzen only because i think i can benefit from it in CEMU and maybe in newer games, but my priority is gamecube and ps2 emulation. I was already waiting for a response that the intel should be better. Anyway i am happy that both of them can run everything worth to me.
I have the i3-8350K OC to 4.8GHz and can attest that it runs MKW in 4-player splitscreen, with 60FPS hack, 4x SSAA, 3xIR, asynchronous ubershaders without a hitch. However, I should point out that before switching to a GTX 1060 from an R9 280, I've resolved many performance issues. My experience has been that that nVidia card works much better for Dolphin than my old AMD card.
Were you using GL on AMD? GL is known to be slow on AMD and D3D and Vulkan are significantly faster on AMD specifically
Ooh, no, I was using D3D all along. OGL was awful in comparison with my old setup and Vulkan, though fast, had its stuttering issues. With my new hardware, OGL is faster overall than the other two backends but doesn't give me the full async shader compilation benefit (neither does Vulkan), so I stick with D3D which already runs everything faster than I need it and is very robust to stuttering.

Here some test samples I took a few weeks ago, while testing out SSAA, which I could not run well before:
Test condition: Super Mario Sunshine, 60FPS code, razius' hd pack, 3xIR, start of a save file in Delfino Plaza

DX11 4x MSAA: 110 FPS
DX11 4x SSAA: 83 FPS (-24% vs MSAA)
OGL 4x MSAA: 132 FPS (20% vs D3D)
OGL 4x SSAA: 65 FPS (-51% vs MSAA!)
Vulkan 4x MSAA: 113 FPS (about equal to DX11)
Vulkan 4x SSAA: 73 FPS (-35% vs. MSAA)

In reality I don't notice much difference if at all, with SSAA vs. MSAA but I'm using it just in case, since the games I've tried still run full speed.

Marulv

(09-28-2018, 01:26 AM)feimberg Wrote: [ -> ]I am between Ryzen 2700 and the intel Intel I3-8350k. Can these processors run everything in dolphin including Star Wars rogue squadron or need for speed hot pursuit 2 (i love this game) full speed? Can i play mario kart or smash bros with 4 players in full speed? Which of these two processors should be better?  These processors will be used with a r9 380x and 8gb ram.
I registered just to see if it's too late to persuade you to not get the i3 over the Ryzen. Please tell me you didn't buy the i3...

And to be clear, both the Ryzen 2700 and the 2600 would both be a hell of a better deal, and performance than that i3.
(10-27-2018, 11:28 PM)Marulv Wrote: [ -> ]And to be clear, both the Ryzen 2700 and the 2600 would both be a hell of a better deal, and performance than that i3.
You mean better performance on applications other than Dolphin.
(09-28-2018, 01:26 AM)feimberg Wrote: [ -> ]I am between Ryzen 2700 and the intel Intel I3-8350k. Can these processors run everything in dolphin including Star Wars rogue squadron or need for speed hot pursuit 2 (i love this game) full speed? Can i play mario kart or smash bros with 4 players in full speed? Which of these two processors should be better?  These processors will be used with a r9 380x and 8gb ram.

Hey! I Have Ryzen 1700 / Ryzen 2700x Both perform Perfect at least in my case I haven't found any game lagging I don't know about Star Wars cause I haven't play.

PC Build usually depends in you pocket budget! 8350k Cost 170$ Ryzen 2700x Cost 260$ also you need a specific motherboard.
The future in gaming multi-core multi-thread which means is AMD is on upper hand at the moment..

In your case, if you have the money Ryzen, otherwise Intel I3-8350k It's really good CPU