Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: generic usb controller not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First time Dolphin user and I can't get my controller to work. It configured no problem but when I run the game, I get nothing. Not sure if I missed a basic step somewhere along the line.

I'm using Port 1, Standard Controller, Pad 1, Input 0 Generic USB Joystick

Forgive me if there's already a thread that addresses this. I looked around for one but couldn't find much. The only advice I've seen is "download the latest version" (I'm using 5.0 stable). However, I'm just trying to use a basic usb controller. Seems like it should work since its nothing fancy.

Any help is great appreciated!
Which game are you trying to play? There's a significant amount of Wii games that don't support GameCube controllers, which is what you have configured right now.
(09-19-2018, 03:08 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Which game are you trying to play? There's a significant amount of Wii games that don't support GameCube controllers, which is what you have configured right now.

I'm trying to play the gamecube version of Ocarina of Time.

I don't have an actual gamecube controller, but it shouldn't matter, right? I'm using a cheap usb controller but like I said, it configures without issue.
No, it shouldn't matter. I'm not sure why this isn't working for you...
Can you post your controller config?
(09-19-2018, 04:56 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you post your controller config?

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-09-18_at_12.47.12_PM.png]
Ok, I tried running Twilight Princess and had the same problem. Its incredibly frustrating and confusing to me that I can't get this controller to work. What am I doing wrong?
Maybe Dolphin's saving the controller name wrong and thus it doesn't work in-game...?
I found the solution on a really old forum.

Clear all the settings
In the gamepad setup, select the device as "Keyboard/0/......"
For each key, instead of using the auto detect (which won't work as you have keybpard selected as input) - right click on the button you want to define, choose input/0/USB Joystick (or whatever your gamepad is) as the device in the configure control popup
find the value you want to set it to... remember to press select before pressing ok (i forgot this so many times and it drove me crazy)
start game and enjoy...

really annoying that the controls have to be configured this way, but it works
Under the device dropdown menu, is there a listing for Quartz/0/"name of your controller"? If there's too many devices in your dropdown, download the latest dev build (5.0-8743 as of writing) and check again, there have been a few fixes for how OSX handles input