Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GPU and CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

III-Mu-III

How do I use GPU only? I dont want to use CPU. Or let me lower CPU usage. If its in settings then tell me what settings to change.
Emulation does not work that way (Or computing in general)

Default settings are about as good as you're going to get.
Try the latest dev builds, there have been some changes to make Dolphin more optimized, which may help your issue
Warning oversimplification Warning

Basically the main issue a lower perfoming CPU will run into in emulation is the fact that the game code, which is designed for different hardware architecture usually, has to be translated into something that your PC can understand. (This can be done in various ways with advantages and disadvantages, but has to be done) This means that no matter how fast your graphics card is it can not do anything without having the instructions from the translated code to run.
In a native PC game this extra (time consuming) process is generally not needed though the GPU still can not do anything without receiving instructions from the CPU. This is also why high resolution native PC gaming only minimally uses CPU performance (not really an increase in instructions... just larger\more numbers for the GPU to calculate), but high framerate gaming will put a much higher burden on the CPU (the GPU will need more instructions from the CPU faster and will send more information to the CPU).

III-Mu-III

(09-11-2018, 12:41 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest dev builds, there have been some changes to make Dolphin more optimized, which may help your issue

k thanks