Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cannot get custom textures working in OOT (GameID D43E01) [EDIT: Kinda resolved]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Uncreative

So, as explained in the title, I cannot get custom textures working in this game (it's the edition with Master Quest on the disc), but they do load in others, like The Wind Waker. In the past I've also had no issues with custom textures in Tales of Symphonia. I've been trying different things for hours now, but nothing seems to be working. The settings I've changed since installing Dolphin (aside from AA, resolution and anisotropic filtering) are' Config > Advanced > CPU Clock Override to 257%, and Graphics > Advanced > Load Custom Textures and Prefetch Custom Textures. I've tested with D3D 11 as Backend, and with Prefetch Custom textures disabled. I've tried with both D43, and D43E01 as the folder name for the texture pack in Dolphin Emulator > Load > Textures. The texture pack that I'm trying to load is the Zelda Collector's Edition HD texture pack from this forum: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ze...27?page=66.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong, or what I could try?

EDIT: Quickly after making this thread I found out about the Ishiiruka Dolphin version, and it resolved my issue. Which was very strange because it seems to have imported its settings from my regular Dolphin version, so I didn't actually change anything at all. In any case, I'm happy and able to get started on my playthrough Smile
Have you tried a clean settings folder for Dolphin? You can download the latest development build and add a "portable.txt" file in it so it manages it settings separately. Just leave the name of the texture pack folder at D43 for the Master Quest disc and PZL for the Collector's Edition disc so it works with all regions. Be sure you use the latest development build of Dolphin rather than the stable 5.0 since DDS BC7 support was added later. You require as DX11 capable GPU for DDS BC7 textures. You can use any backend Dolphin has. I usually use Vulkan.

Just a word of warning, you did download version V2.3 of the texture pack, right? The OP is outdated and you can fins V2.3 searching through the thread. In case you haven't find it or are using the wrong version, you can find it on my Google Drive: Zelda 64 HD V2.3 (DDS BC7). Having the latest version might solve some issues. And if you haven't check out yet, but this thread: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ar...ora-s-mask has some very useful codes to improve your experience in all the N64 Zelda games, such as 30 FPS, widescreen, extended draw distance and double damage. You have to search through the whole thread trough.

You can always drop by on the texture pack thread, I am always to help out a fellow fan of the Zelda 64 HD Texture Pack project. Having fun reliving Hyrule in 4K!
If Ishiiruka works but not Dolphin, the problem is probably just that you were using Dolphin 5.0 instead of a recent development version.

Uncreative

Thanks for the replies both of you, the issue was indeed that I was using the latest stable version and trying the latest development version worked.

(09-10-2018, 06:42 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried a clean settings folder for Dolphin? You can download the latest development build and add a "portable.txt" file in it so it manages it settings separately. Just leave the name of the texture pack folder at D43 for the Master Quest disc and PZL for the Collector's Edition disc so it works with all regions. Be sure you use the latest development build of Dolphin rather than the stable 5.0 since DDS BC7 support was added later. You require as DX11 capable GPU for DDS BC7 textures. You can use any backend Dolphin has. I usually use Vulkan.

Just a word of warning, you did download version V2.3 of the texture pack, right? The OP is outdated and you can fins V2.3 searching through the thread. In case you haven't find it or are using the wrong version, you can find it on my Google Drive: Zelda 64 HD V2.3 (DDS BC7). Having the latest version might solve some issues. And if you haven't check out yet, but this thread: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ar...ora-s-mask has some very useful codes to improve your experience in all the N64 Zelda games, such as 30 FPS, widescreen, extended draw distance and double damage. You have to search through the whole thread trough.

You can always drop by on the texture pack thread, I am always to help out a fellow fan of the Zelda 64 HD Texture Pack project. Having fun reliving Hyrule in 4K!

I did indeed download the v2.3 from one of your latest posts in the thread, as the OP links were dead. I was actually about to post in the thread since my issue seemed specific to the game/project, but I figured it was best not to clutter with support issues when there's a subforum for that. Thanks for the codes link; I was of the impression that increasing the FPS or widescreen made the game bug out but it sounds like that's not the case, I'll be sure to look closer at those.

By the way, I wanted to say that I'm really grateful for the work that you and the others involved with the project are and have been doing. The fact that so many are willing to spend their free time on these kinds of things for the benefit of all, whether it be texture packs, mods, emulators, translations, support  or whatever else, is truly amazing to me and affirms my faith in humanity.
(09-11-2018, 02:15 AM)Uncreative Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the codes link; I was of the impression that increasing the FPS or widescreen made the game bug out but it sounds like that's not the case, I'll be sure to look closer at those.

Increasing the FPS can mess a bit with the gameplay in Zelda OoT/MM, but widescreen codes are generally safe.
I can't say the FPS codes will be flawlessly. In general using codes can break a game, with the exception of widescreen codes. Those are often safe. And by safe I mean that your save file isn't being modified. Personally, I have been testing both 30 FPS codes for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (and these other quality enhancement codes as well). I don't know if these address changes (codes modifies RAM address for the game) are permanently stored in your save file, but I can confirm these codes I have tested for both Zelda N64 can be disabled and that your save file will not be altered in any visible way. Even with the 30 FPS code enabled, you can toggle back to 20 FPS (with a button combination) where 20 FPS mode should work exactly the same as with a fresh save file without any codes (which is 20 FPS). As said, the codes are not flawless, but they are not permanent either. In general through, codes can permanently alter your save files.

As JosJuice said, except the gameplay to be messed in some ways as long you have 30 FPS mode enabled. Fixes are being made in time thanks to darkludx, but chances are that the faster animation might never be fixed for example (since there are so many animations which sped up, it would be insane if it is not controlled globally). But I can confirm a good chunk of the game is perfectly playable in 30 FPS mode. I made a post in the Zelda N64 Codes thread some pages back highlighting all major and minor issues with the 30 FPS code for Majora's Mask. All four dungeons should for example be playable in 30 FPS for the most part, if not completely "playable" at 30 FPS already. It is just what you define "playable".

I would say, test out the codes. If you can live with the issues in 30 FPS you can certainly have a greater experience out of it. Just except to use the toggle option to switch between 20 FPS and 30 FPS in some cases. The widescreen and extended draw distance codes are mostly save.

You might have noticed I am already working on the next update V2.4, so keep an eye out for that.