Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Running Dolphin on android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

rub007

Dear Dolphin enthousiasts,

I am not completely new to emulating, having played games on my PC from a different range of consoles inclusding the gamecube offcourse.
I have recieved the new Samsung glaxy note 9 on launch here in europe.

The phone boasts a powerfull CPU processor Exynos 9810 ( 2.7 gHz quadcore + 1.7 gHz quadcore ).
It has 8 GB of RAM and of the GPU I don't know much other than it being of the Mali series (
G72-MP18 GPU ).

Samsung has marketed this phone to being focussed a little more on gaming and to me that means that one can play serious games on it like of the NDS, GC and N64.

It is also known that on the much older and by all intends and purpouses "weaker" Samsung Galaxy S8 Dolhpin runs rather smooth.
So I wanted to give android dolphin a go and decided to run it on my note 9 but to my surprise it ran very bad.

I discovered that it ran with a very poor framerate and after playing and tweaking with the settings I probably only got an FPS increase of maybe 3 frames at the max.

Does anybody here have any experience with dolphin on mobile phones / tablets and know what I could do to make the emulator run better ?

Thanks a lot for your time,

rub007
When you run a game in Dolphin, do you get a yellow text that starts with "Your OpenGL driver does not support EXT_buffer_storage."? If you are, the drivers for the Mali GPU are unnecessarily limiting your performance, and there is unfortunately not much you can do about it other than waiting for a driver update. If you are getting some yellow text that doesn't say that, you aren't affected by that problem.

(08-27-2018, 06:11 PM)rub007 Wrote: [ -> ]Samsung has marketed this phone to being focussed a little more on gaming and to me that means that one can play serious games on it like of the NDS, GC and N64.

Sorry, but the requirements for "normal" gaming and emulation aren't quite the same. I don't think Samsung had the latter in mind when making and marketing the phone.

(08-27-2018, 06:11 PM)rub007 Wrote: [ -> ]It is also known that on the much older and by all intends and purpouses "weaker" Samsung Galaxy S8 Dolhpin runs rather smooth.

Yes, the Snapdragon version of it. The Enoxys version of it isn't known to run Dolphin well. The Dolphin performance difference between the Snapdragon and Enoxys versions of Samsung devices has been very large because only Snapdragon supported EXT_buffer_storage, but that's changing now that Mali also is starting to support it in the newest versions of their drivers.

(08-27-2018, 06:11 PM)rub007 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anybody here have any experience with dolphin on mobile phones / tablets and know what I could do to make the emulator run better ?

You can try turning down the emulated CPU clock a bit. Probably not much you can do other than that.

rub007

(08-27-2018, 06:22 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]When you run a game in Dolphin, do you get a yellow text that starts with "Your OpenGL driver does not support EXT_buffer_storage.

You can try turning down the emulated CPU clock a bit. Probably not much you can do other than that.

Thanks for the reply.
I did get a yellow text above in the screen but the letters were so small i did not bother to read it yet.
So it could very well be the driver issue.
I will try to lower the cpu clocking speed a bit first thing when O come home from work.
Thanks.
Well...that not completely True...cos i have note 8 with mali exynos Europe version...and literally on 30 games I have (and are heavy games)only like 2 or 3 giving me problems...so it's only about have the patients to find out the right suitable settings for this CPU.. and u'll see the difference..and I can list some of the heavy games that struggled me for a  while..but now I can absolutely confirm that exynoss can't be like the snapdragon.. but also can be always powerful as it...resident evil 0...resident evil rebirth..code veronica...re4..tomb raider legend, project zero 2,alone in the dark, cursed mountain...I can go ahead ...but to say that all these games are running almost at max fps on my side ..hope this will give u some motivations to try by urself and enjoy wii/gc games..not being offensive..but I'm in this forum less then a week..and asking help and receiving (or being ignored)answers not true at all gave me that motivations to try by myself.. and I can say that 40%of what i been told were lies ...if u want u can play it..just stay tuned on the download build page cos every update(wich is daily)have new functional feature ..anything u need u  can relay on my advises..If I can help ...and believe me..I wish someone else that know more then me could tell me the same things ! Let me know how that will go Wink note 9 is a great phone..if u see what I'm capable to do today on mine note 8 u wont believe it and u also want to have same s...t as me WinkWinkWinkWink keep me updated ..for any help I have all settings saved on the side cos generally what i found work for the 80% of titles i have Wink
Using settings that break games in ANY single way does not count.
Eh, any major way.

If they want to go ahead and start recommending terrible settings I'll just start deleting their terrible posts.
Guys I'm not being funny but breaking settings or not ..I'm playing games like a real gamecube...of course little lags..but nothing more ..I'm really enjoying my fav games over Tommy smartphone exynoss

rub007

(08-28-2018, 04:17 PM)Ethanwinters88 Wrote: [ -> ]Guys I'm not being funny but breaking settings or not ..I'm playing games like a real gamecube...of course little lags..but nothing more ..I'm really enjoying my fav games over Tommy smartphone exynoss

Sorry for not replying I was very yesterday evening.
So far I did not have time to test out different settings but seeing as how powerfull the phone is I can't immagine that it wont be able to run dolphin.
I'll try to make changes to the settings and maybe I can get a good result if not than I have bad luck I guess.

But seeing as you are able to run it well on Note 8 do you mind sharing some of your values for the settings might help me a lot with that one.

Many thanks.
(08-28-2018, 09:48 PM)rub007 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for not replying I was very yesterday evening.
So far I did not have time to test out different settings but seeing as how powerfull the phone is I can't immagine that it wont be able to run dolphin.
I'll try to make changes to the settings and maybe I can get a good result if not than I have bad luck I guess.

But seeing as you are able to run it well on Note 8 do you mind sharing some of your values for the settings might help me a lot with that one.

Many thanks.

altough it might be powerfull for a phone, compared to a laptop/pc the it's actually not that amazing. Especialy the graphics department is lacking. It's very rouighly compared to an intel HD Graphics 4600 which is not the best for dolphin add up the poor drivers, a limited amount of dev's for the android port and eventually thermal throttling. So yes running dolphin could be a problem. And don't fall for samsung's marketing, They are marketing the note 9 as very powerfull but it's just an s9 with a bit more ram and a bigger heatpipe, which will apart from able to stay cool for a little longer not improve dolphins peformance. When they say powerfull they mean it in a sense that you can use it for a lot of things, not necessarily reffering to peformance.
(08-29-2018, 12:28 AM)TMCThomas Wrote: [ -> ]altough it might be powerfull for a phone, compared to a laptop/pc the it's actually not that amazing. Especialy the graphics department is lacking. It's very rouighly compared to an intel HD Graphics 4600 which is not the best for dolphin add up the poor drivers, a limited amount of dev's for the android port and eventually thermal throttling. So yes running dolphin could be a problem. And don't fall for samsung's marketing, They are marketing the note 9 as very powerfull but it's just an s9 with a bit more ram and a bigger heatpipe, which will apart from able to stay cool for a little longer not improve dolphins peformance. When they say powerfull they mean it in a sense that you can use it for a lot of things, not necessarily reffering to peformance.

Well very weird as on my side..testig and testing every day I see (even if slowly ) dolphin performances got much more faster and accurate on my note 8 ..I definitely can confirm..so I also understand if in this forum there not many Samsung fan ..If it wasnt for the fact that a smartphone to buy in USA with no contract are expensive i would definitely buy a snapdragon powerful one...guys u should encourage users that are actually rookie(no offense I dodnt mean to I'm just trying to contribute too as a exynoss user ..things are possible guys..its just about browse and text more instead of having the dinner ready on the table without even sweating! Sorry for my examples (stupid)
Pages: 1 2