Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Paper Mario TTYD - PAL60 not running at 60fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to play a game from my childhood, Paper Mario TTYD, which is a 60fps game even in PAL version when you select PAL60 at boot (holding B). I've tried everything but I can't get it to run at 60fps.
I did the following:
>Selecting Pal60 in the Wii settings
>Selecting Progressive Scan in graphics settings
>Holding B and selecting Pal60 when booting the game

The game still runs at 50fps. I am 100% sure this game runs at 60fps on my TV. I've tried other games and this seems to happen only in Paper Mario. Could it be a bug with the emu? Am I doing something wrong?

And yes, I know I could pirate the NTSC version and play at 60FPS but first of all, this is a legal rip I made of my real game using the Wii (couldn't even find the PAL rom online anywhere tbh), then I really want to play it in my native language (which is Italian, by the way, did you know that some Euro languages of this games are a direct uncensored translation of the original Japanese script? Italian uses the uncensored Japanese script).
Does the game support PAL60? Not all games did back in the day.

Edit: My googling tells me that yes, it does support it. And yeah, the better translation is a reason you'd want to use PAL60. The Progressive Scan setting in the Wii settings won't do it, neither will the PAL60. Maybe someone else can explain how to get to PAL60 in GameCube? Maybe with the PAL BIOS you could enable it?
(08-25-2018, 04:44 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Does the game support PAL60? Not all games did back in the day.

Yes. It has a 50/60 Hz selection screen, and it does run at 60 FPS/60 VPS in Dolphin when I pick 60 Hz.
(08-25-2018, 04:48 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. It has a 50/60 Hz selection screen, and it does run at 60 FPS/60 VPS in Dolphin when I pick 60 Hz.

Can you tell me which revision of Dolphin you're using and if you're using any non standard settings? I'm using the latest revision and tried various combinations of renderer, audio backend and other stuff. It runs perfectly accurate from what I can tell but the 50fps really annoys me (and no, it's not because my computer can't handle it).

It's not a huge deal but I'm used to playing this game in 60hz on my console and to me 50fps is noticeably a bit slower.
I remember this game having really bad issues with GPU desync, reverting from 60Hz to 50Hz whenever the GPU got too far ahead. Try if disabling Dual Core fixes your problem.
I was testing on 5.0-8606. Most of my settings are the default values, but indeed, I had dual core turned off.
Do you see this screen right after launching the game?

[Image: 7DCrXTg.png]

Like AdmiralCurtiss, I also remember, I think it was last year, before my CPU and GPU upgrade, the game launching at 60 Hz, but then when in-game, reverting to 50 Hz.

I had Dual Core disabled for over a year, but I just tried with it enabled, and there is no desync.
Maybe if I play long enough it will revert to 50 Hz. It mind be because of my new config, or more recent drivers, I don't know.
(08-25-2018, 09:35 PM)AdmiralCurtiss Wrote: [ -> ]I remember this game having really bad issues with GPU desync, reverting from 60Hz to 50Hz whenever the GPU got too far ahead. Try if disabling Dual Core fixes your problem.

^Can confirm. This problem is even worse with texture packs.
Indeed disabling dual core makes the game run at 60 in 60hz mode. How weird. Unfortunately this gives me some slight slowdowns in certain areas (Glitzville, if I run all the way to the front of the island and the camera shows the whole area goes from 60 to 55, even on native res so I guess the CPU is the bottleneck here).

These are my specs:
i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz
GTX 1060 6Gb
16Gb DDR3 1600

Not a big deal though, I'd rather have this than 50 everywhere. Thanks.