Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: MGS: Twin Snakes button thresh-hold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am emulating Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes (GameCube), I am required to button mash A repeatedly how ever I am told in a fourth wall breaking moment that auto-fire controllers will mean you will not be able to resist, here's an excerpt from the games wiki:

"Prior to the torture scene, Ocelot warns the player not to use autofire controls in order to resist, otherwise he will know. Doing so will cause the electrocution to continue onward after the timer has stopped, disable input from the controller, and will kill the player. The game detects if an autofire controller is in use by setting a button-press thresh-hold. If the button-press speed exceeds this thresh-hold, the game will automatically assume that the player is using an autofire controller and will trigger the instant death.".

So it would appear my button threshold is too sensitive as I am dying exactly as the above excerpt details.

I am using a PS3 SixAxis controller connected via a USB cable and using Better DS3. I have tried putting all my button push thresholds on both Better DS3 and Dolphin to 99 and 1 respectively, yet I am still killed as the game still believes me to be using a autofire controller. I have even tried tapping incredibly slowly or not tapping at all, to no luck. I have also tried a infinite health AR code, this worked outside the torture scene but didn't function during it due to the way your health is drained during the torture.

Does anyone know what I could try to get around this problem?
Threshold in Dolphin is unrelated to what the game is looking for.

It thinks you're mashing too fast as it says you've hit too many buttons... it goes over a "threshold" of x amount of A button presses, not like the R/L threshold in options.
(08-23-2018, 01:09 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It thinks you're mashing too fast as it says you've hit too many buttons... it goes over a "threshold" of x amount of A button presses, not like the R/L threshold in options.

I'm not sure if that is the case, I have also tried playing out the scene without tapping a singular button.

If it is like you detailed and I am pressing the button too fast, then it doesn't explain why I'm being killed when I tap slowly or not at all.
It could be detecting that you're using a modified controller or cheatcodes as well.
(08-24-2018, 04:51 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It could be detecting that you're using a modified controller

Good point, it gave me the idea to try changing the type of profile I use in Better DS3.

Also I played up until this point without AR codes, I only put it on after I encountered this problem in an effort to try fix it, so it couldn't be that.
Yeah I tried changing profiles too, no success on that front either unfortunately.
What if you use a keyboard?
(08-25-2018, 03:34 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]What if you use a keyboard?

That's a great idea, I can't try it tonight but tomorrow (Sunday) I have all day. I'll post back and tell you if that worked.
That didn't work either, neither did the mouse. I'm clueless now.
Weird, I played this last year with a wired 360 controller with no issues on that part. Not sure why the keyboard wouldn't work. Maybe try a downloading a new Dolphin development build, extract it to a separate folder, make a text file called "portable.txt" next to the .exe file and import your old GC memory card file. Hopefully that gives you a clean configuration, see if that works. Who knows, it might be some weird config issue. Something to try at least.
Pages: 1 2