Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Computer, how well would it run "X"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, my new computer is as follows;

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50Ghz
Nvidia 265GTX
6GB DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 64bit

I've gotten some pretty conflicting results on how this setup will run Dolphin, and more specifically, certain games.

The games I have and plan to rip are;

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC)
Pikmin and Pikmin 2 (GC)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (GC)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master's Quest (GC)
Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
Mario Kart: Double Dash! (GC)

Would anyone know how well my computer would perform with any of these games? As it hasn't arrived yet, I won't know for awhile how it will.

My current setup is pretty weak compared to this new computer of mine;

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ @ 2.1Ghz
Nvidia 9400GT
2.5GB DDR2 RAM
Windows XP

It runs Wind Waker at 10-20FPS in very intensive areas, 25-30 in smaller enclosed areas, such as the Outset forest or houses. The Pikmin games have great framerates on this rig, except they can drop into the sub 20s if more than 60 Pikmin are onscreen at once, for both games. I haven't ripped any of the other games (yet), so I can't test them for now.

Would I see any substantial boost in FPS?
yah i think your fps will speedup ,your new computer is better than mine that i have got wind waker 40-60 in the normal areas ithink it gonna be big boost of Speed.
if it still slow try to use some speeds configur like Native like disable distanation alpha pass and like Enable Dual Cure ......
anyway Wind waker is Small game that will not bother you But Super Mario Galaxy Is So Slow With Me It Runs Between 26-32 in Big areas But anyway your gonna have more speed than me.
NoteSad(try the older DolphinSvns if it still slow))
Thanks for the general idea, mate.

Oh, and what kind of processor do you have?
3.2 and the cash is 6
which mean : 3 X 6 =18 GHZ
I think.......
that made no sense and you can't add ghz
18GHz... O_o
First off, it's "cache" not "cash". I'm guessing you have a Core 2 Duo based on the CPU speed and cache size. Unless you overclocked, I'd have to guess that you have an E8500 @ 3.16GHz since that's the closest @ stock to the 3.2GHz you said.

And no, you can't multiply the CPU speed with the cache to get some value that doesn't even make sense unit-wise. If that were the case, I'd have 48GHz.

@FlotsamX
Are you sure your video card is a 265GTX? I'm pretty sure there's no such model. There will definitely be an increase in FPS over your old computer because of the CPU. Seeing as how you ordered it, you probably won't be able to overclock your CPU for extra performance.
(12-03-2009, 09:37 PM)w4ffles Wrote: [ -> ]First off, it's "cache" not "cash". I'm guessing you have a Core 2 Duo based on the CPU speed and cache size. Unless you overclocked, I'd have to guess that you have an E8500 @ 3.16GHz since that's the closest @ stock to the 3.2GHz you said.

And no, you can't multiply the CPU speed with the cache to get some value that doesn't even make sense unit-wise. If that were the case, I'd have 48GHz.

@FlotsamX
Are you sure your video card is a 265GTX? I'm pretty sure there's no such model. There will definitely be an increase in FPS over your old computer because of the CPU. Seeing as how you ordered it, you probably won't be able to overclock your CPU for extra performance.

Sorry mate, 260GTX. I keep confusing that.

And I full-well will be able to overclock it, and I have the full ability, I'm just cautious about such things. I have jittery hands and can't BUILD a computer, but I can take the liberty to install stuff like video cards, RAM, and heatsinks, sure.
Ahh, ok. That changes things. I'm sure you could easily get an extra 400-600MHz (or more) easily with a tiny voltage increase. It's all about playing with the FSB and V-core in the bios until you get something stable. (By stable I mean running Intel Burn Test and/or Prime95 to stress test the CPU) A light overclock would only produce a few more degrees of heat and should be very safe.
I'm already running the emulator, but I want to if I'm running at optimal options for my machine.
To get optimal options for the following machine what should I do?

Hp Pavilion dv3000 (it's a small 13.3" laptop but it packs power with most of its punches)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @2.00Ghz
RAM: 4.00GB DDR2, can't remember what brand (it's 2 2GB cards, not 1 4GB)
VGA: nVidia GeForce 9300M GS (512MB dedicated)
Hard drive: 300GB 5400 RPM, don't feel like looking up the brand
I think it's WD
Pages: 1 2