Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I run these games in 1080p on i7 2600 + Radeon 7970 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ive never used Dolphin before and I was wondering what sort of performance I will get runnning the games listed below in 1080p using the following system:

i7 2600
Radeon 7970 Ghz Edition
8Gb DDR3 1300Mhz

Mario Kart Double Dash

Mario Kart Wii

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Mario Galaxy

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

F-Zero GX
that's a pretty old system, but some of them might run ok?

Set the graphics backend to Direct3D 11 because you're on AMD, use the latest development build and hope for the best.

If it isn't fullspeed then, then there is nothing you can do and your CPU is too old.
Or vulkan - the 7970 should support vulkan fine.

And this should have no problems with pretty much everything at 1080p. It's still pretty fast, comparatively.
(08-17-2018, 04:50 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]Or vulkan - the 7970 should support vulkan fine.

And this should have no problems with pretty much everything at 1080p. It's still pretty fast, comparatively.

Thanks JonnyH, I didnt know that Dolphin supports Vulkan! This is great news that you think 1080p will not be a problem on these games, I was really hoping for this. Cheers
He said the GPU could push it. No promises that your CPU won't choke you.
(08-17-2018, 08:29 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]He said the GPU could push it. No promises that your CPU won't choke you.

A 2600 at full desktop TDP should be able to push pretty good clocks - and probably give a better experience than the latest ULV chips people seem OK with.

Could it be faster? Of course. But it should still be OK for many games.
I'd be surprised if SMG ran fine Smile
(08-17-2018, 10:16 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be surprised if SMG ran fine Smile

I have ran SMG back in the pre- Dolphin 5.0 days way before some major optimisation on a i5 2500k @ stock speed. It ran at full speed most of the time with some levels slowing the game down to ~45-50 fps at certain moments (which an OC to 4.3 ghz resolved). With HLE audio being usable now in this game and the masive amounts of optimisation that happened on top of that wouldnt I be suprised if the game can run at full speed on a 2600.
(08-17-2018, 09:29 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]A 2600 at full desktop TDP should be able to push pretty good clocks - and probably give a better experience than the latest ULV chips people seem OK with.

Could it be faster? Of course. But it should still be OK for many games.

(08-17-2018, 01:50 PM)Skywolf Wrote: [ -> ]I have ran SMG back in the pre- Dolphin 5.0 days way before some major optimisation on a i5 2500k @ stock speed. It ran at full speed most of the time with some levels slowing the game down to ~45-50 fps at certain moments (which an OC to 4.3 ghz resolved). With HLE audio being usable now in this game and the masive amounts of optimisation that happened on top of that wouldnt I be suprised if the game can run at full speed on a 2600.

Thanks JonnyH for your opinion on the CPU, I (and a lot of others) still think the 2600 is a viable/good option for modern (budget) gaming and was hoping that would be the case with Dolphin too, your comments have made me a lot more optomistic for what I can expect Smile

Thanks Skywolf, your personal feedback on Super Mario Galaxy is very encouraging! I just looked up some of the Dev Blogs after you mentioned HLE audio and I can see that Dolphin developers have done some amazing work over the years, very interesting reading! Though Its a shame that rogue squadron 3 isnt playable Sad
(08-17-2018, 07:54 PM)wonderboy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks JonnyH for your opinion on the CPU, I (and a lot of others) still think the 2600 is a viable/good option for modern (budget) gaming and was hoping that would be the case with Dolphin too, your comments have made me a lot more optomistic for what I can expect Smile

Thanks Skywolf, your personal feedback on Super Mario Galaxy is very encouraging! I just looked up some of the Dev Blogs after you mentioned HLE audio and I can see that Dolphin developers have done some amazing work over the years, very interesting reading! Though Its a shame that rogue squadron 3 isnt playable Sad

I only recently replaced my i7 2600x - though that did overclock very well, so it had a bit more headroom, it was still churning through AAA titles at good speed until this year.

Really, it shows how stagnant Intel have been in many respects. Only this year have they really added anything of note - finally moving past 4 cores.
Pages: 1 2