Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Do compressed GameCube games affect netplay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I want to compress all my GC games, but I was wondering if there were any disadvantages to it, for example does it affect netplay? It would change the md5 hash even if I can recover the original file later no?
(08-14-2018, 11:57 PM)Xharos Wrote: [ -> ]for example does it affect netplay?

No.

(08-14-2018, 11:57 PM)Xharos Wrote: [ -> ]It would change the md5 hash even if I can recover the original file later no?

The MD5 hash of the file itself will be different, but the data that Dolphin passes to the emulated console is 100% identical to the data in the original ISO. Also, if you use Dolphin's built-in function for calculating the MD5 hash, you will get the MD5 hash of the original ISO, because Dolphin decompresses the file as it hashes it.

Keep in mind that the above only is true for GameCube discs, since Dolphin applies scrubbing if you convert a Wii disc to GCZ.
(08-15-2018, 12:00 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No.

The MD5 hash of the file itself will be different, but the data that Dolphin passes to the emulated console is 100% identical to the data in the original ISO. Also, if you use Dolphin's built-in function for calculating the MD5 hash, you will get the MD5 hash of the original ISO, because Dolphin decompresses the file as it hashes it.

Keep in mind that the above only is true for GameCube discs, since Dolphin applies scrubbing if you convert a Wii disc to GCZ.

Thanks! Are there no plans to implement a better compression method for Wii games?
(08-15-2018, 04:59 AM)Xharos Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks! Are there no plans to implement a better compression method for Wii games?

I've actually been planning that for a little while. I just haven't had time to work on it yet.
Dolphin does support WBFS images that provide somewhat better compression than Dolphin's format.

Looking forward to something better Dolphin can handle itself though.
(08-15-2018, 09:37 AM)Kolano Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin does support WBFS images that provide somewhat better compression than Dolphin's format.

Looking forward to something better Dolphin can handle itself though.

WBFS doesn't actually compress anything, though. It just scrubs.

I'm curious what the difference in size between WBFS and GCZ for Wii games is caused by, though. Is it because empty blocks take slightly more space in GCZ, or is it just because of something like the used WBFS scrubber removing the update partition?