Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Would switching to an Nvidia GPU help with IR/shader cache stutter??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So recently I was thinking of switching to an Nvidia GPU mainly because PCSX2 is extremely biased toward OpenGL. Then it got me thinking if it would help me with Dolphin. Currently, I can run some games at 4K with occasional slowdowns if things get hairy, but one game in particular just shits the bed even at 720p. Starfox Adventures.

Even with Vulkan, I can't run Starfox Adventures at 2x without cutscenes causing performance drops. So I was wondering if switching to at least a 1070ti would help in any regard. Would the shader cache get less micro stutter for first time playthroughs?

Or is it just my CPU sucks?
Here are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Wr8qk
Since you're on AMD, use the latest development build with Dolphin, set the backend to Direct3D 11, and set Ubershaders to "Asynchronous (Ubershaders)" and enable "Compile shaders before starting"

That should solve all of your performance problems.

As for whether nvidia is good with Dolphin, yeah. Dolphin's GL backend is really good but nvidia won't work as well as you would like with ubershaders (without stuttering) unless you either

a. Use Direct3D 11
or b. Use Synchronous Ubershaders and hammer your GPU usage

Dolphin's D3D11 backend is perfectly fine too. As is Vulkan.

With Dolphin it mostly just matters what GPU you have

Nvidia: use GL (Or D3D11 if ubershaders)

AMD: D3D11 / Vulkan

Intel: D3D11
(08-07-2018, 10:50 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Since you're on AMD, use the latest development build with Dolphin, set the backend to Direct3D 11, and set Ubershaders to "Asynchronous (Ubershaders)" and enable "Compile shaders before starting"

That should solve all of your performance problems.

As for whether nvidia is good with Dolphin, yeah. Dolphin's GL backend is really good but nvidia won't work as well as you would like with ubershaders (without stuttering) unless you either

a. Use Direct3D 11
or b. Use Synchronous Ubershaders and hammer your GPU usage

Dolphin's D3D11 backend is perfectly fine too. As is Vulkan.

With Dolphin it mostly just matters what GPU you have

Nvidia: use GL (Or D3D11 if ubershaders)

AMD: D3D11 / Vulkan

Intel: D3D11

I've been using those settings. My main concern here now is the performance drop with Starfox Adventures during cutscenes at 2x IR. Would that change anything? I just feel like if there's a game that runs poorly at 2x then surely there must be more. Or is Starfox Adventures that much of a resource guzzler with all that hair and grass graphics.

EDIT: Ah, after further searching it appears that having cheats on causes stutter due to a faulty codehandler. I guess I'll try that off for the stutter.