Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HP Omen AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Desktop: GTX 1060 3GB or RX 580 4GB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

danjer

These are my only two options. Buying from here:

GTX 1060 3gb: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Desktop-Comput...ZGQNY?th=1

RX 580 4gb: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Desktop-Comput...QNNR5?th=1

Going to play mostly with emulators like dolphin/cemu/citra for things like mario galaxy/sunshine, and also older emulators as well like snes/ps1+2/n64 etc, but still would like the option to play modern games well (especially a hat in time and south park fractured but whole, those are at the top of my wish list at the moment)

Thanks for the advice!
Not sure if the 256GB SSD is really worth the price difference since the 2 cards are fairly equal in performance and close in price as well, but as far as just comparing the cards...

For PS1 N64 SNES and anything 16bit or 32 bit (saturn may be a little different) any graphic card will generally do just fine so don't worry for these.

For Dolphin either card will be fine if you use the DirectX or Vulkan backend

CEMU\CITRA are still in that part of development where advice today might not be valid by the time you actually purchase the computer so...

For PCSX2, the slight performance advantage of the RX580 becomes a rather large performance penalty since the best (and most up to date) backend for PCSX2 is OpenGL and AMD cards do not have good OpenGL support (at least not in windows and not the way AMD wants OpenGL to work) You should still be able to use either card but in a game that you could push 4X internal resolution on the 1060 the RX580 might only run 2-3x at the same speed.

For native gaming it is close but the RX580 is slightly faster but this will vary game to game and games built for AMD will be much better, games built for Nvidia will be slightly worse.

danjer

Great info, leaning way more towards 1060 3gb now, even though it's supposedly 10% slower/less powerful than 1060 6gb. Anyone have first-hand experience with native/emulated gaming on either product from the links I posted?
(08-04-2018, 11:44 PM)danjer Wrote: [ -> ]Great info, leaning way more towards 1060 3gb now, even though it's supposedly 10% slower/less powerful than 1060 6gb. Anyone have first-hand experience with native/emulated gaming on either product from the links I posted?

Don't think that's anything to be concerned about with dolphin.

danjer

(08-05-2018, 11:04 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't think that's anything to be concerned about with dolphin.

Gotcha, I'm going with 1060 3gb then. Thanks again!