Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I9 9900k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The I9 9900k series is supposed to come out soon and from what I speculate, the kaby lake series has been the dominant source for emulation, especially with dolphin.

As I am planning on upgrading from the gtx 1080 to 1180+, my question for upgrading my cpu is as follows:

Should I wait for the I9 9900k benchmark to come out before getting that cpu, get the I9, or rely on the i7 series?

I'm setting up upgrading timelimes and dont want to assume that the i9 will yield excellent result. Additionally, this is in consideration for a VR-based dolphin upon release of openXR and development from the dolphin team.

Any responces will be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like overkill to me.
That i9-9900K is way toooooo powerful for Dolphin. Even with my i5-8600K I can already throw almost everything against Dolphin (I should still avoid Exclusive Ubershaders, but hey... What's the need to do so). Even my previous i5-4430 was more than good enough.

You still need a decent GPU for running at higher internal resolutions, and probably for using Anti-Aliasing and Exclusive Ubershaders too. But really, there is no need to use Exclusive Ubershaders, Asynchronous (Ubershaders) already provides a stutterless-experience with a minimal performance impact.

Even if you were to use it for CEMU, Citra or the upcomming Yuzu it is still way too powerful. In the case of Citra, a lot of games (such as Luigi's Mansion) are still extremely demanding due the emulator being new. That would surely improve in the future, and Citra is already making huge leapses forward. You could find some usefulness if you were to run The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild with demanding graphic packs including 60 FPS, 4K or higher, clarity, FXAA, higher shadows and whatnot else. Even then would a i5-8600K and GTX 1070 suffice.

But this is just Dolphin we are talking about, and that is just waaaaaay toooooo much oooooooverkill. Even the i7 series too much overkill for Dolphin. Dolphin isn't even capable of utilizing that many CPU cores.

I guess it would be really useful for RPCS3 since it uses up to 9 threads (I dunno really, perhaps even more?), which can be quite demanding.
(08-04-2018, 01:52 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like overkill to me.

You think that dolphin can run everything at max setting with the right parts, but it struggles hard with certain max options.

The fact I still have to upgrade it a testament to that idea.
(08-04-2018, 01:58 AM)zelazon Wrote: [ -> ]You think that dolphin can run everything at max setting with the right parts, but it struggles hard with certain max options.

The fact I still have to upgrade it a testament to that idea.

Then you are not using the proper settings. Or you play extremely demanding titles such as Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike. The Last Story is quite demanding too (I can still run it quite fine), which is mostly due the fact that Store EFB Copies to Texture Only has to be disabled. It even makes Super Mario Sunshine more demanding than it should be. That might get fixed in the future perhaps with a better implementation, I hope.

Keep in mind, I do run most of my games with texture packs, still perfectly at max speed. Even with AR/Gecko codes such as increased FPS and draw distance for a few of them (such as Xenoblade Chronicles).

I also make sure my computer is using the most of it's resources towards Dolphin (no unwanted processes on the background). A bit of maintaince goes a far way. A SSD drive as well.
(08-04-2018, 01:57 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]That i9-9900K is way toooooo powerful for Dolphin. Even with my i5-8600K I can already throw almost everything against Dolphin (I should still avoid Exclusive Ubershaders, but hey... What's the need to do so). Even my previous i5-4430 was more than good enough.

You still need a decent GPU for running at higher internal resolutions, and probably for using Anti-Aliasing and Exclusive Ubershaders too. But really, there is no need to use Exclusive Ubershaders, Asynchronous (Ubershaders) already provides a stutterless-experience with a minimal performance impact.

Even if you were to use it for CEMU, Citra or the upcomming Yuzu it is still way too powerful. In the case of Citra, a lot of games (such as Luigi's Mansion) are still extremely demanding due the emulator being new. That would surely improve in the future, and Citra is already making huge leapses forward. You could find some usefulness if you were to run The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild with demanding graphic packs including 60 FPS, 4K or higher, clarity, FXAA, higher shadows and whatnot else. Even then would a i5-8600K and GTX 1070 suffice.

I've had my i5 7600k for a while now, but playing breath of the wild, I would get maybe more then half of the frames my switch would get when playing the game on 4k on a 1080, but I havent tried cemu since sometime last year.

Additionally, my perspective is coming from one where super mario galaxy dips to 20 fps on a VR-based dolphin setup, letting me know that I really have to step my game up. While for standard dolphin, I struggle with Double Dash on max (I still clueless why this happens), I'm looking for full fps across the board.
(08-04-2018, 02:10 AM)zelazon Wrote: [ -> ]I've had my i5 7600k for a while now, but playing breath of the wild, I would get maybe more then half of the frames my switch would get when playing the game on 4k on a 1080, but I havent tried cemu since sometime last year.

Additionally, my perspective is coming from one where super mario galaxy dips to 20 fps on a VR-based dolphin setup, letting me know that I really have to step my game up. While for standard dolphin, I struggle with Double Dash on max (I still clueless why this happens), I'm looking for full fps across the board.

CEMU has improved a lot in one year time, especially for Breath of the Wild. My previous i5-4430 wouldn't work that well with Breath of the Wild. The i5-8600K has 6 cores as opposed to the 4 cores of the i5-7600K (which was exactly the reason the skip the 7000 series for me), which certainly helpes with the Triple-CPU Recompiler with CEMU (since you still have you run Windows).

But... I don't think you mentioned VR... Or at least I didn't read about that, but that changes quite the demands yeah. But that doesn't the fact that the i9-9900K is too much overkill for most emulators and especially Dolphin when using it without VR.

EDIT: Yeah, you mentioned VR in the original post.
(08-04-2018, 02:16 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]CEMU has improved a lot in one year time, especially for Breath of the Wild.

But... I don't think you mentioned VR... Or at least I didn't read about that, but that changes quite the demands yeah.

EDIT: Yeah, you mentioned VR in the original post.

The demands from a VR perspective is much greater than standard dolphin.

My computer struggled to play star fox 64 in VR (lol).
Never had VR and I don't intend to purchase a setup for it for quite some time. Perhaps never, unless it becomes the new standard, so I couldn't say much about it's demands.
(08-04-2018, 02:21 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Never had VR and I don't intend to purchase a setup for it for quite some time. Perhaps never, unless it becomes the new standard, so I couldn't say much about it's demands.

The best way to reproduce the demands is to utilize the "side-by-side" option in the graphic menu under the enhancements tab. (Look up a youtube video on how to create the 3d effect with the side-by-side videos.)

While it isn't exactly one to one with the demands for VR, it will help to provide a base level of understanding to what is required.
Pages: 1 2 3