Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Updater not working on Win 7 x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No matter which "update track" I select (including Do Not Update then manually updating) Dolphin won't update itself, even if I leave Dolphin open for hours/days and/or manually "Check for Updates" a hundred times on any update track, it says I'm on the latest version, this build being 5.0-8374. It's behaved that way ever since the feature was introduced on this machine.
Many bugs have been fixed with the updater since, which I have tried to follow and search for, but now I'm leaning towards it being a PEBCAK error. Any ideas? Another Windows 10 computer I use Dolphin on doesn't have this issue. I tried it with and without my VPN on, and there wasn't a change in behavior. Updater.exe in the Dolphin folder says it can't be run standalone, so I'm out of ideas. Obviously, being on 8374 I have manually updated at least once since the feature was released...anybody else have this issue and find a resolution? Thanks for reading...
I'm guessing you have some sort of anti virus blocking the updater executable or you have filesystem permission issues.
That's definitely some good thinking I hadn't considered.

So, here goes: The only AV I have installed is Windows Defender, the service for which I have just now stopped (after adding an exception within its settings for Dolphin), I've explicitly allowed dolphin.exe and updater.exe on all networks (public/work/home) through Windows Firewall, set both executables to run as administrator (which my luser profile also is), I've tried copying the Dolphin x64 folder (the one that we unpack when manually updating) to the desktop, set the copied Dolphin and updater.exes to run as Administrator....same results.

I do also notice now that when manually updating without an internet connection it says that I'm on the latest version, though after a noticably longer waiting/thinking period, so I think youre on the right track thinking connection issues. I don't have any unique in/outbound rules set up on my router, but I'll check that anyway, too. Obviously this is an edge case, else I'd think that a "can't connect to server" popup might be useful. Do you happen to know if the updater uses a domain name to connect or a static IP address? I'm using Cloudflare's DNS (1.1.1.1), and that's the only other really unique thing about my network config that comes to mind, as I tried all of this without my VPN active, have a common national ISP, etc.

I will keep poking away at this and update the thread if I find a solution. Thank you very much for your help...
Does it still happens when you set DNS to auto?
Yes, unfortunately even with both NAT ip and DNS set to auto, nothing changes. I will create another user profile on this computer to try it out as well.
It's working, and it was a PEBCAK error!  
It did not work with a different user profile, so when I went back to re-enable the Windows Defender Service after giving up for now, I saw the Windows Firewall service and thought "Why not?" disabled it, then tried again. A few times I was able to start the update but then got "Could not fetch text manifest" errors halfway through which crashed Dolphin, but after a reboot that went away and everything is working!

So, long story short, even though Dolphin.exe and Updater.exe were explicitly allowed in the Firewall rules, with AV disabled, disabling the Firewall service itself was what it wanted.

Big thank you to Helios and DJBarry!