Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Shut down Wii Channals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a question. Ratings are given in relation to how it runs on an original console, right?

Shut down channels have a 3-star rating right now. Shouldn't it be 5 since you see and do exactly the same things you can do on an original console?

Go inside the channel, get the error message, leave.

An example: A game (Let's call it "Super Menu Sunshine") was developed to go inside a menu and prompt an error message if the game was executed after the January 1st, 2008, that game would be considered a 5 star game, since it's running on default settings and the same would appear on an original console.

Doesn't the same thing (or at least a similar thing) apply to the Wii channels?

This just applies to channels with no additional problems.

Some (if not all) Channels that are shut down:

BBC iPlayer Channel
Check Mii Out Channel
Demae Channel
Digicam Print Channel
Everybody Votes Channel
Forecast Channel
Kirby TV Channel
Mario Kart Channel
Metroid Prime 3 Preview Channel
News Channel
Nintendo Channel
Television Friend Channel
Wii "My Room" Channel
Wii Speak Channel
YouTube Channel

Thanks to Lucario for the inspiration.

Yours truly,
Kimishima
I agree fully with this, I was wondering the same thing.
I think the rating should be based on how well the channel runs in Dolphin when there is a server available, in the cases where it is possible for someone to find that out (for instance if there is a third-party server or if someone tested it before the servers went down). Either way, I agree that a channel shouldn't get a lower rating just because the servers have been shut down.
Okay. Set them to 5 stars. All but 3 channels:

Nintendo Channel
Television Friend Channel
YouTube Channel

They previously had problems. Nobody can test if these still apply. The error message is shown properly, so I would like to set them to 5 stars and purge the problems because of it,

@JosJuice: But you are probably right with keeping them. My solution would be that they get purged when 6.0 rolls around. What do you / does everybody here think of that suggestion?
Given the nature of the servers being offline, it will be hard to proof their rating-value.

But personally, I think it should be proven that a game (or channel) should have a lower rating, instead of the other way around that a game should prove it to have a higher rating. But that's just my personal opinion. The goal should be to detect issues and based on that lower the compatibility rating. But yeah, ratings should be based on how they preform on an actual console, that's the purpose of an emulator.

Of course, if it can't be tested or it has never been tested, there should be a rating stating some similar to "Unknown". Through, the Wii Channels have been tested before while the servers were still active. So we do know they should work... If we can find an alternative server for them...

But hey, that's just my personal opinion. I am no developer or editor, so don't take my opinion for granted.
Servers being offline should not effect ratings, presuming we show the appropriate "Server Offline" warning/message as seen on the Wii.

Titles with issues prior to the servers going offline should persist their ratings, since presumably the other bugs still exist and would re-occur with the server back up or an alternate server specified.
(08-03-2018, 06:08 AM)Kolano Wrote: [ -> ]Servers being offline should not effect ratings, presuming we show the appropriate "Server Offline" warning/message as seen on the Wii.

Titles with issues prior to the servers going offline should persist their ratings, since presumably the other bugs still exist and would re-occur with the server back up or an alternate server specified.

Is it possible to create a custom server for the missing channels with problems?
(08-03-2018, 07:17 AM)Kimishima Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to create a custom server for the missing channels with problems?

Yes, it's possible. But of course, that isn't a guarantee that anyone actually is going to do it.

Anyway, when it comes to the specific channels you've said have problems reported on the wiki... The features that are listed as unsupported for the Nintendo Channel and the Television Friend Channel are definitely still unsupported, so they shouldn't have 5 stars. For YouTube, I can't see any problem on the wiki page other than needing to set safe texture cache. I suppose a game INI update would be enough to bump that channel to 5 stars, then? (It seems very unlikely that the requirement to set safe texture cache would've went away between then and now.)
Youtube Channel worked in Dolphin before it shutdown fwiw. We got it working within the last two weeks of service.
(08-04-2018, 06:47 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Youtube Channel worked in Dolphin before it shutdown fwiw.  We got it working within the last two weeks of service.

Oh, thank you! Worked it perfectly without any glitches or something in that line?
Pages: 1 2