Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Causes Odd CPU Slow Down and Graphical Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

M_D_U

Hey, so I've got a rather strange issue and I'll try to describe it in as much detail as I can.

When I boot up Dolphin and run any one of my games, my computer seems to have an issue that is very close to slowing down. While the computer remains at full speed technically, actions performed on the desktop and within other directories seem to be delayed or non-responsive. It's rather difficult to explain, but think of this: click and drag on the desktop to highlight, and a square of your selection area appears, right? Mine doesn't, but it's still active. It appears only after I move the cursor some distance away from where it was. Only then does the graphic "update". Another example is when a new windows opens, it remains empty containing only repeating graphics, yet it still functions. This is the case for pretty much any action on the computer outside of using the internet browser, games, or anything of the like.

What's even more strange is that I can drag the program to another user's account and run it without any problems whatsoever. Might it be some kind of application conflict? This problem only occurs when I boot a game using Dolphin. I have never experienced this otherwise.

I've tried some basic troubleshooting options such as restarting, but to no avail. The issue can be temporarily resolved if I log into another account and log back into the problem account, but even then the issue will resurface if I open a game in Dolphin again.

Any suggestions?
I've actually seen one or two other reports of behavior similar to this, but nobody knew why this was.

Which programs do you have running when you run Dolphin?

What's in the system tray?

M_D_U

(07-24-2018, 05:03 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually seen one or two other reports of behavior similar to this, but nobody knew why this was.

Which programs do you have running when you run Dolphin?

What's in the system tray?

Steam, Defender, CPU, and a USB flash drive. Nothing else is running. Closing Steam didn't change anything, either.
It can be caused by Dolphin writing small files to the cache and whatnot and the scanning from a virus defender going crazy. But that should stop when Dolphin is closed.
It shouldn't be a consistent thing though

yeah Dolphin writes some small files to cache, but it's not that much and definitely not while Dolphin is just sitting there with core running. As I imagine they're not running into new effects while they aren't paying attention to Dolphin, clicking around their computer.

M_D_U

Hey, I think found the problem. Turns out there *was* something running in the background that may have been conflicting somehow. I've gone into Task Manager and closed a few background tasks and it seems to be working fine now? I'm not entirely sure if that was the case or if it is something temporary, but should the problem arise again that means it's something else, so I'll bring it up.

Thank you for your assistance!

M_D_U

(07-24-2018, 08:11 AM)M_D_U Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I think found the problem. Turns out there *was* something running in the background that may have been conflicting somehow. I've gone into Task Manager and closed a few background tasks and it seems to be working fine now? I'm not entirely sure if that was the case or if it is something temporary, but should the problem arise again that means it's something else, so I'll bring it up.

Thank you for your assistance!

Welp, seems this isn't the case after all. After a restart of the computer, I made sure that the tray was mostly free of tasks and that I would shut down the same tasks as beforeĀ in Task Manager. But to no avail. The problem keeps occurring.

Any ideas?