Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Laptop (ASUS Zenbook UX430UN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dell does cooling well in that price range, so does razer, and some other brands depending on what you specifically need out of the system.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBo...492.0.html

That laptop was simply not made for long gameplay sessions.
Good news everyone! Using this tool: ASUS GPU Tweak II I was able to adjust my GPU's temperature cap. Funny that this stupid little thing does something ASUS' BIOS updates won't lol. Turning it up to about 80-83c gave me consistent 60fps in 720p for the last couple of hours and didn't engage the throttling I was dealing with before. Even the CPU stayed at around 80c so I didn't have to worry about overheating either.

I'd like to test this a bit more over the next few days to see if it's a long-term solution or not. That is unless one of you is about to hop in here and tell me I'm ruining the hardware haha. Either way. I've only had this laptop for about 4 days so I have plenty of time to return it if need be.

I mostly need a laptop for media production anyway. I don't play PC games other than Dolphin, so as long as I can manage that, I'm good.
(07-18-2018, 10:34 AM)jackal27 Wrote: [ -> ]Good news everyone! Using this tool: ASUS GPU Tweak II I was able to adjust my GPU's temperature cap. Funny that this stupid little thing does something ASUS' BIOS updates won't lol. Turning it up to about 80-83c gave me consistent 60fps in 720p for the last couple of hours and didn't engage the throttling I was dealing with before. Even the CPU stayed at around 80c so I didn't have to worry about overheating either.

I'd like to test this a bit more over the next few days to see if it's a long-term solution or not. That is unless one of you is about to hop in here and tell me I'm ruining the hardware haha. Either way. I've only had this laptop for about 4 days so I have plenty of time to return it if need be.

I mostly need a laptop for media production anyway. I don't play PC games other than Dolphin, so as long as I can manage that, I'm good.

I’m honestly kind of amazed ASUS’s power user tools even work on their ultrabook.
nah. 80c is perfectly safe. They generally just throttle it lower for laptops because few people want to have an 80c device on their hands and lap.

I would test other games you care about to see if the laptop will throttle on those. Melee can run on a toaster
Also test media production since (depending on what media you are producing) some of those programs can hit the CPU, GPU, or both as hard or harder then almost anything else you can throw at a computer.
(07-18-2018, 12:20 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]nah. 80c is perfectly safe. They generally just throttle it lower for laptops because few people want to have an 80c device on their hands and lap.

I would test other games you care about to see if the laptop will throttle on those. Melee can run on a toaster

Yeah I decided to test out Dragon's Dogma for the heck of it since somebody gifted it to me and it ran great at first and then uhhh... Not so great... Torchlight 2 did fine, but I mean I bought that game back in like 2012. Damn man I dunno. 

Part of me wants to look for another machine and part of me just wants to tough this one out since I've grown accustomed to it. But man... $1200 for a laptop I'm already no longer excited about.

I'm kind of nervous about media production now too since I work in a lot of Photoshop and Adobe Premiere. I haven't tried anything too crazy on here yet, but it'd be awful to start and then learn the hard way that I can't handle it.
For $1200 that sucks. My XPS 15 was around that and has about 3x the GPU power at around the same form factor. Cools fine too.

Check Dell's website for it. Amazon over prices it.
Torchlight 2 is not a good test... it runs fine on my 8" z3735f windows tablet.
One thing that generally helps a lot (but will certainly void your warranty) is opening the laptop and replacing the stock thermal compound with a good aftermarket brand. From my experience, unless you've bought one of these expensive gaming oriented laptops, the stock thermal compound will be of very low quality, no matter the OEM.

Not a good example since HP is known (or at least was known) for bad thermal designs on their laptops but my old HP Envy dv6 would get so hot under load to the point it would throttle very hard and automatically shut down on my face after some minutes due heat and that's was since day one. After replacing the thermal compound (used to use Prolimatech PK3 in the past, but switched to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut), it still gets pretty hot under load (sits around the 85 ~ 90° C range), but it never suddenly shut down anymore and thermal throttling rarely kicks in...
Pages: 1 2 3