Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Black screen when games start with EVERY renderer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

apple020997

Hi! New poster here!

Until 6 months ago I played Dolphin on my PC (Ryzen 7 1700 @3.9, Vega 64, 16GB DDR4, SSD NVMe, Win10 Pro x64) without any problem. I stopped playing Dolphin for a couple of months, as I bought some great PC games.

In that time I also upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 7 2700X (stock) and there were at least 10 different GPU drivers and 5 motherboard BIOSes upgrades...

I updated Dolphin a month ago without even trying to start it (I installed it from scratch and unfortunately deleted the old version), and then no Wii or GC game starts. After it compiled the shaders there's either a black screen if I start games on full screen or a black window, and core 5 of my CPU is at 100% usage. Nothing happens. I can close the window, but then Dolphin freezes. This happens even today, with different GPU drivers and dolphin versions. I tried OpenGL, Vulkan, DirectX 11 and even software renderer, but it doesn't work.......

I tried it with Super Mario Sunshine, Link's Crossbow Training, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort (the games I always played even with my real Wii until I switched to Dolphin).

What can I do?

By the way, I enabled Dual Core, but disabling it doesn't change anything. I play with a real Wiimote+Nunchuck for Wii and with a knockoff Xbox One controller for GC.

Any help is appreciated.

Federico

EDIT: I also tried the various shader compiling methods... Nothing.
Enable logging, set the logs to info logs, (View button in the file bar) and give us some logs so we see where Dolphin is stopping.

apple020997

Hi!
Here's the log.
After reading it, I switched to XAudio2 (from WASAPI) as audio engine and it seems to work! I'll continue to test it...
I can contribute to this!

My problem was that exclusive mode on WINDOWS was disabled. I was tinkering with some settings a while back on my PC and at some point, I disallowed apps from taking exclusive control for the default audio device and never re-enabled it. after a long tedious session of clearing dolphins settings, re-installing and the such, i experimented with every single setting individually and testing what was causing dolphin from working. the culprit was wasapi audio backend, but not entirely. the phrase "exclusive mode" right next to it reminded me I was messing with all that the other day. I went to the sound control panel, and lo and behold! Exclusive mode was disabled on my default device! Note that I enabled ONLY "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", but by itself, wasapi was still crashing dolphin. I also enabled "give exclusive mode applications priority" and now dolphin with wasapi backend worked.

So in a nutshell;
in order for wasapi to work properly (at least for me) your default audio device must be allowed to use exclusive mode, AND given priority.

in windows 10, go to your sound control panel > right click your default playback device > click properties > select advanced tab > on exclusive mode check both boxes> restart dolphin and try wasapi again.

Post your result! I want to know if it worked for you too.

@JMC47
I disabled exclusive mode on windows to force the failure and copied the log for you. The first half shows when it worked. after 21:00:508 is when I disabled exclusive mode on windows for the audio device, and then restarted the same game.

19:13:511 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\mixer.cpp:21 I[AI]: Mixer is initialized
19:13:514 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:264 I[Audio]: Using audio endpoint 'DENON-AVR (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)'
19:13:567 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:283 I[Audio]: Audio period set to 130000
19:13:596 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:387 I[Audio]: WASAPI: Successfully initialized!
19:13:777 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:264 I[Audio]: Using audio endpoint 'DENON-AVR (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)'
19:13:778 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:283 I[Audio]: Audio period set to 130000
19:13:822 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:387 I[Audio]: WASAPI: Successfully initialized!
19:14:042 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\core\hw\dsp.cpp:363 I[AI]: Audio DMA configured: 12 blocks from 0x802fc980
20:09:564 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:264 I[Audio]: Using audio endpoint 'DENON-AVR (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)'
20:09:564 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:283 I[Audio]: Audio period set to 130000
20:09:607 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:387 I[Audio]: WASAPI: Successfully initialized!
20:10:709 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\audiocommon.cpp:73 I[Audio]: Shutting down sound stream
20:10:709 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\audiocommon.cpp:81 I[Audio]: Done shutting down sound stream
21:00:508 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\mixer.cpp:21 I[AI]: Mixer is initialized
21:00:510 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:264 I[Audio]: Using audio endpoint 'DENON-AVR (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)'
21:00:511 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:283 I[Audio]: Audio period set to 130000
21:00:513 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\wasapistream.cpp:77 E[Audio]: WASAPI: Failed to initialize IAudioClient: Unknown error 0x8889000E
21:00:513 c:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\source\core\audiocommon\audiocommon.cpp:170 E[Audio]: Error starting stream.

Hope this helps you. Since I know how to reproduce the error, If you need anything else, I could send you some more info if needed. just need to know how to get it.

apple020997

(07-21-2018, 03:13 AM)gahram Wrote: [ -> ]I can contribute to this!

My problem was that exclusive mode on WINDOWS was disabled. I was tinkering with some settings a while back on my PC and at some point, I disallowed apps from taking exclusive control for the default audio device and never re-enabled it. after a long tedious session of clearing dolphins settings, re-installing and the such, i experimented with every single setting individually and testing what was causing dolphin from working. the culprit was wasapi audio backend, but not entirely. the phrase "exclusive mode" right next to it reminded me I was messing with all that the other day. I went to the sound control panel, and lo and behold! Exclusive mode was disabled on my default device! Note that I enabled ONLY "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", but by itself, wasapi was still crashing dolphin. I also enabled "give exclusive mode applications priority" and now dolphin with wasapi backend worked.

So in a nutshell;
in order for wasapi to work properly (at least for me) your default audio device must be allowed to use exclusive mode, AND given priority.

in windows 10, go to your sound control panel > right click your default playback device > click properties > select advanced tab > on exclusive mode check both boxes> restart dolphin and try wasapi again.

Post your result! I want to know if it worked for you too.
[...]
Hi! My audio settings were already the correct ones, so the problem is WASAPI on Dolphin... 
Yeah, it seems WASAPI is causing random hangs for some people.
I made an issue report with your log. Thank you for your help. If you're experiencing issues, please use xaudio2 instead of WASAPI.