Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Build for the TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

trsdos

I am planning on building a dedicated Emulator box for my main TV ( 60" Samsung @ 1080p ).  This is the present plan:

GTX 1060 6GB
i5-8600k
16gb ram

I want to play most titles both GC and Wii, More GB than Wii though ( Nostalgia thing )

Is this overkill?  What about if, and when, I replace the TV with 4k?  Overkill?

What I am thinking is dropping to 3GB on the GTX 1060 and 8GB on the System ( of course upgrading the System memory will be easier than the GPU in the future )?

The reason for the Above specs is, I am building two of those for my Twins for their B-Days and thought, why not 3
(07-11-2018, 11:37 PM)trsdos Wrote: [ -> ]What I am thinking is dropping to 3GB on the GTX 1060 and 8GB on the System ( of course upgrading the System memory will be easier than the GPU in the future )?

Dropping these should still be plenty for just about anything you throw at dolphin.

trsdos

Awesome.  Thanks. Could the CPU be scaled back to the i5-8400 or is 2.6 GHz too slow? ( I meant to ask that in the original post )

Edit : Also the i5-8400 will take OC of the table
The 8400 should be fine for a large amount of what dolphin can do, but it will cause more of an issue then dropping the GPU (useful for enhancements and some games require reasonable GPU performance) and RAM (really only necessary for the OS more then the emulator, unless you are using an integrated GPU).

If you ever want to use a even more CPU demanding emulator then the change from an 8600k to an 8400 will be even more apparent.

But for just dolphin it might cause a few games to be slower then full speed in more areas, but for the most part should still be fine.

trsdos

(07-12-2018, 03:45 AM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]The 8400 should be fine for a large amount of what dolphin can do, but it will cause more of an issue then dropping the GPU (useful for enhancements and some games require reasonable GPU performance) and RAM (really only necessary for the OS more then the emulator, unless you are using an integrated GPU).

If you ever want to use a even more CPU demanding emulator then the change from an 8600k to an 8400 will be even more apparent. 

But for just dolphin it might cause a few games to be slower then full speed in more areas, but for the most part should still be fine.
(07-11-2018, 11:55 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Dropping these should still be plenty for just about anything you throw at dolphin.

Thank you for the advice.  I am thinking why not do other gaming beyond emulators on the TV, So I think I will go with the original Idea of i5-8600K, 16GB ram and the 1060 with 6gb. 
For native PC gaming the 8400 would be generally fine for most games at most settings, The GPU will be much more important for what games you can play and how well those will run. 16GB of ram is generally not a major thing except for virtualization, streaming, and people who don't know how to close a chrome tab once a year.
(07-13-2018, 11:55 AM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]For native PC gaming the 8400 would be generally fine for most games at most settings, The GPU will be much more important for what games you can play and how well those will run. 16GB of ram is generally not a major thing except for virtualization, streaming, and people who don't know how to close a chrome tab once a year.

12GB would be an ideal spot for regular gaming (barring the dual channel speed problems on most mobos). I’ve never seen a game use more than 10GB but i’ve definitely had my system blow past 8GB usage with just the game open.