Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overclock Cpu is useful if I play witth higher resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone. I have a cpu I5 4670K with default frequence of 3Ghz and a geforce 1070 graphic card. I prefer to play with a resolution 3x and 2xSSA. With this parameters I can earn some frames if I overclock my cpu or the load in this case is mainly on the graphic card?
Generally, no. The GPU determines how high you can raise your resolution before your GPU becomes the bottleneck. If 3x IR + 2xSSAA (basically 6x IR) is too much for your GPU, no amount of CPU overclocking will help, since all the slowdown is on the GPU side. A GTX 1070 should have no problem with 3x IR + 2xSSAA for most games.

Overclocking the CPU helps when the CPU is the bottleneck. To see if your CPU is the bottleneck, set your IR 1x (native resolution of the GC/Wii) and run a game. If you get less than full-speed, your CPU is the cause of the slowdown (since the GTX 1070 won't even use a fraction of its processing power at 1x IR) and overclocking would help. If you already get full-speed, then your CPU is good enough as is and requires no overclocking​.
Thanks