Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Add an update popup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jasonrebe

When new development versions are available make a popup when an update is available. And also add an option to check for updates and an auto update option in config
Um, we have an updater now? Just use the latest dev builds and set the updater to Development builds!
...except we only do that on Windows; not on MacOS (as mentioned in his profile).
Are there any plans to add an option to force an update? Currently if I want to manually update, I have to change it to dev, close Dolphin, open it again, and accept the update. Can there be a button to manually update?
There is an update option in the Help menu.
(06-26-2018, 07:28 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]There is an update option in the Help menu.

I'm super dumb. Thanks!
Is there a different, more intuitive place that the "check for updates" button could be put, like in the options menu? I went to update manually a few days ago and the only reason I was able to find it at all was because I remembered the PR that added it, and searched every menu until I found it. I personally feel like it would fit better under options or tools anyway, since updating isn't really a help option anyway
We did talk a little about more obvious buttons, but the UI for it would have been clunky. And honestly only power users are ever going to use the manual update option, and that is the type of user that we know can find and use options in the menu bar, so eh, this was for the best. ┐(^~^)┌
Putting update check in the "Help" menu is also very much the de facto standard. In fact I checked all the apps I current have opened on my PC with an auto-update mechanism (Keepass, OBS, VLC) and they all put it in the Help menu.
Huh, okay. I guess I've just never paid much attention to update buttons in other programs. Thanks for the explanations!