Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everybody, I'm a complete noob to PCs but I have done a lot of research and can't seem to find a straight answer for my question even on here. So, I just wanted some advice/input on a new build that I plan on doing. Wondering if this build would be good enough for Dolphin. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dop94/saved/J7TvVn

At most I'd push 1080p and if not 720p is just fine. Enhancements are optional in my mind not mandatory if that matters. Also, any and all input is appreciated and I am on a budget so if you guys could help me save some money I'd greatly appreciate it.
If you have room to spare in your budget, get a boot SSD that you install your OS on, makes life easier
Your CPU and GPU is fine for most games at 1080p. There will always be some edge cases that may need lower settings or may not run well, but this system is good enough to hopefully keep that to a minimum.

You could possible get away with a cheeper system if you care, but if this is in your budget nicely then I would not worry about it too much.
Any suggestions for a good boot SSD? And it is a little above what I wanted to pay but I wanted a newer generation CPU but if you have any suggestions to lower the price I'm all ears honestly. Would these parts be alright on Windows 7 though? I know that's off topic but I have an old unused installation kit for that.
Getting Ryzen and any Intel after Skylake working on windows 7 is a bit annoying and despite my personal dislike for some things Win 10 does I would not in good conscience recommend using kaby lake, coffee lake, or ryzen with anything older then Windows 10, it becomes a rabbit hole.

As fas as a boot SSD, I would get one big enough to hold the OS and any programs you are going to use a lot. This will highly vary depending on the user. Kingston A400 series is inexpensive and a massive improvement over a mechanical drive (though not the fastest SSD by any stretch to the immagination). Samsung evo drives are the general best all around drives the new series is the 860 I think... Crucial MX series is a little cheaper then Samsung's drives but the price is not low enough to justify the drive over getting the just better Samsung one.
Alright. Well I really appreciate all the help and suggestions, definitely needed it.
Could I get away with just 4gb (1x4gb) ram?
not with modern OSes these days.

8 is more or less minimum for a reasonably usable system.
Well dang, thought I could shave $40 off. ?
Don't get a GT 1030, it's slower than a GTX 750 Ti, which you can probably find a used copy for cheaper than the 1030