Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: As of June 2018, what backend is considered the best?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm using a Nvidia GPU (1070) and I'm curious as to what backend is considered the best / most advanced / most stable / faster / whatever. What do the devs recommend in general? Is Vulkan considered good enough to just stick to it?

Also, is it recommended to enable the "Compile shaders before starting" setting in fast PCs? My CPU is an i7 6700k at 4.2 GHz
You have nvidia. Just use GL.
Unless you want ubershaders not to stutter.
For AMD GPUs, Vulkan. For NVIDIA, OpenGL if you're not using ubershaders, DX11 otherwise...
(06-22-2018, 02:38 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]You have nvidia. Just use GL.

(06-22-2018, 03:11 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you want ubershaders not to stutter.

(06-22-2018, 06:42 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]For AMD GPUs, Vulkan. For NVIDIA, OpenGL if you're not using ubershaders, DX11 otherwise...
I use ubershaders, and I hate stuttering. So I guess my best option is DX11 then?
I would say, test them all out. It can vary per system. You can't go much wrong with each backend, but you should really try and see which backend works the best (performance and compatibility) for your game of choice and system.
OpenGL, unless a certain game isn't playing nice.
(08-04-2018, 03:35 PM)Zonafer Wrote: [ -> ]OpenGL, unless a certain game isn't playing nice.

Or unless you're using AMD or you want to use asynchronous ubershaders on Nvidia.
why use OGL? when valkin is more superior API, do games not run well on it atm or has dolphin not optimised valkin yet?
Vulkan is not "superior"

It has it's use cases but for some stupid reason gaming media sites decided to market it towards users as well as being the second coming of christ. Surprise, they had no fucking idea what they were talking about.

What you do get though is a much more error prone API with shit tons of boiler plate and if you're not careful you'll just write slower code than if you just used D3D11 or GL.

Additionally, Vulkan is not deprecating GL anywhere. Khronos just finished up GL 4.5 so GL is still a very valid thing to use to make an app with. Vulkan has it's uses but it's not universally "better"

EDIT: GL 4.6
Pages: 1 2 3