Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A question about textures and fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

deno46

I have this question about textures. Are decompressed textures faster than compressed ones? My question points at this: Some games run slower because the computer has to process a lot of stuff like poligons and textures right? So, if you use external textures via the load custom textures option, in theory, can it be faster than looking for them inside the image of the disk? i'm referring to original textures, not hd custom ones.

Is the difference a substancial one or not? could you get a noticeable improvement in fps?

The reason why i'm asking this is because years ago I did that with Doom 3 to play it in my old old pc. And it did help with load times.

thanks in advance
(06-21-2018, 11:12 AM)deno46 Wrote: [ -> ]Are decompressed textures faster than compressed ones?

Compressed external DDS textures are faster than uncompressed external DDS textures. Compressed external PNG textures can be slower than uncompressed external DDS textures, though.

(06-21-2018, 11:12 AM)deno46 Wrote: [ -> ]So, if you use external textures via the load custom textures option, in theory, can it be faster than looking for them inside the image of the disk?

No, it's never faster. Dolphin always has to load the original texture from the game disc, because otherwise it can't know which custom texture to display instead of it.

deno46

(06-21-2018, 07:41 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Compressed external DDS textures are faster than uncompressed external DDS textures. Compressed external PNG textures can be slower than uncompressed external DDS textures, though.

No, it's never faster. Dolphin always has to load the original texture from the game disc, because otherwise it can't know which custom texture to display instead of it.

Perfect, now I understand.

Thanks