Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Two Textures that combine to make a colored texture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm having trouble with these textures in Soul Calibur 2 
[Image: 05CNACc.png]
[Image: QfRGdha.png]
This is what it looks like in game
[Image: NHnKJFK.jpg]
But when i do my texture it looks like this

[Image: 3FkmaUr.jpg]
It looks like this outside of the game
[Image: AE38Ydh.png]
I don't know what to do I've tried a lot but i don't really get what i need to do
This is a huge guess, but I'll give it a shot...

It looks like both of the original textures are completely grayscale, and yet it shows up as colored text. So it almost seems like they took an image and separated out the different color channels into totally separate images, then recombined them to do the drawing... Or at least something like that is happening in the game. A quick test with a color dropper shows that the second texture sheet matches very closely with the blue channel in the rendered texture. I thought that the first texture might be the red or green channel, but it's way too bright for that, so there must be some other blend happening that creates the final texture.

Anyway, it looks like you'll probably have to make your custom texture, then separate it into two (or more) images that will blend to give you the correct color. I would check to make sure that there aren't any more textures that might be involved in the blending, and try using some image editing software to see if you can't figure out exactly how the images combine. If you need a suggestion for what program to use, I know that paint.net allows you to have multiple layers in the image and edit them/change how the layers blend on an individual basis, which would probably be pretty useful.

Again, this is a guess on my part, so if anyone else has a better idea of what's going on, please correct me!
(06-20-2018, 09:19 AM)addestroyer Wrote: [ -> ]This is a huge guess, but I'll give it a shot...

It looks like both of the original textures are completely grayscale, and yet it shows up as colored text.  So it almost seems like they took an image and separated out the different color channels into totally separate images, then recombined them to do the drawing...  Or at least something like that is happening in the game.  A quick test with a color dropper shows that the second texture sheet matches very closely with the blue channel in the rendered texture.  I thought that the first texture might be the red or green channel, but it's way too bright for that, so there must be some other blend happening that creates the final texture.

Anyway, it looks like you'll probably have to make your custom texture, then separate it into two (or more) images that will blend to give you the correct color.  I would check to make sure that there aren't any more textures that might be involved in the blending, and try using some image editing software to see if you can't figure out exactly how the images combine.  If you need a suggestion for what program to use, I know that paint.net allows you to have multiple layers in the image and edit them/change how the layers blend on an individual basis, which would probably be pretty useful.

Again, this is a guess on my part, so if anyone else has a better idea of what's going on, please correct me!

Ok I'll try that. Thanks for the insight, i'm still new to making custom textures.
I suspect it's your image editing software that causes this. Does this happen too, if you dump the textures and load the dumped textures unedited as custom textures? Does it happen, if you open one of the textures in your editing software and save it, without actually changing anything?
(06-20-2018, 04:42 PM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect it's your image editing software that causes this. Does this happen too, if you dump the textures and load the dumped textures unedited as custom textures? Does it happen, if you open one of the textures in your editing software and save it, without actually changing anything?

I tried that but no. The original textures look just fine it's only when i try to make my own when it does this.
I've looked through the dumped textures folder. I found multiple textures like this that come in pairs. They are entirely greyscale but come out colored. I still don't know what kind of technique they use that makes them that color but combining them creates different colors. Any combination of things i try just come out with different colors but not blue like the texture in the game.
Here are some more examples. Even Character Portraits are like this.
[Image: Wkxh9my.png]
[Image: IRDtTMe.png]
[Image: 2uAdaDQ.png]
[Image: ExDDwO8.png]
[Image: UGCOiy8.png]
[Image: IpFK5LG.png]
I don't know if it'll be any help, but I did a quick search to see if anyone else had run into similar issues with Soul Calibur textures, and found these

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-so...retextures
https://www.textures-resource.com/gamecu...caliburii/

From a quick browse of the second link, it looks like all the textures are separated, but still can't tell exactly how the coloring is being done :/

Anyway, hopefully these are of some use
(06-21-2018, 12:37 PM)addestroyer Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if it'll be any help, but I did a quick search to see if anyone else had run into similar issues with Soul Calibur textures, and found these

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-so...retextures
https://www.textures-resource.com/gamecu...caliburii/

From a quick browse of the second link, it looks like all the textures are separated, but still can't tell exactly how the coloring is being done :/

Anyway, hopefully these are of some use

Thanks I'll take a look at these.
(06-21-2018, 11:28 AM)Nyx Wrote: [ -> ]I tried that but no. The original textures look just fine it's only when i try to make my own when it does this.

In that case, open the original file, paste your image and save. The file format might be weird, like using a weird palette. So if it ask anything about the palette, you need to convert your image to the palette used by the original image.
Pages: 1 2