Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unable to save games on Dolphin, error message attached
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am unable to save my games on Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. When I try to, this error message comes up. What do I have to do to be able to save my game? I have tried deleting the Memory card A file in my documents but that did not change anything.
Kits a copy protection built into the game to prevent duplicating Pokémon. You may be able to use a cheat code to disable it (if there’s even one available), but if not, the only thing you can do is to either save it to your original save file or reload your save from the original file.

Edit: are you using savestates? I remember there being a problem a while back if you use savestates and the in game save improperly. For example: if you use a savestate, then in game save, then load the savestate, it won’t let you save anymore. The order you would have to do it in is in game save, then savestate. (I’m going to go check and see if this is still a problem)

edit 2: I just reproduced the above issue on the latest dev build of Dolphin 5.0-8098. To resolve the issue, just quit the game and reload your save without using savestates.
(06-11-2018, 05:53 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Kits a copy protection built into the game to prevent duplicating Pokémon. You may be able to use a cheat code to disable it (if there’s even one available), but if not, the only thing you can do is to either save it to your original save file or reload your save from the original file.

Edit: are you using savestates? I remember there being a problem a while back if you use savestates and the in game save improperly. For example: if you use a savestate, then in game save, then load the savestate, it won’t let you save anymore. The order you would have to do it in is in game save, then savestate. (I’m going to go check and see if this is still a problem)

I am using savestates, although I would like a work around that still allows me to use savestates ingame.
I gave a half-explanation on how to to it, but basically as long as you don't try and load a savestate from before your most recent in-game save you'll be ok. See the scenario below:
1. Save the savestate
2. play the game
3. do the thing wrongly
4. load the savestate
5. do the thing right
6. save the game using in game save feature
7. SAVE THE SAVESTATE
8. continue playing

The problem arises from loading a savestate from before your last in game save. As long as you make a savestate after you do an in game save, you won't mess up your save files. (something like this also affects windwaker)
(06-11-2018, 06:20 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I gave a half-explanation on how to to it, but basically as long as you don't try and load a savestate from before your most recent in-game save you'll be ok. See the scenario below:
1. Save the savestate
2. play the game
3. do the thing wrongly
4. load the savestate
5. do the thing right
6. save the game using in game save feature
7. SAVE THE SAVESTATE
8. continue playing

The problem arises from loading a savestate from before your last in game save. As long as you make a savestate after you do an in game save, you won't mess up your save files. (something like this also affects windwaker)

What do you mean by "do the thing wrongly" and "do the thing"?
Making a joke about messing up in the game that requires you to load the savestate, and then doing it right Tongue

Just as long as you don't load a savestate from before your last in game save you'll be ok
(06-11-2018, 07:20 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Making a joke about messing up in the game that requires you to load the savestate, and then doing it right Tongue

Just as long as you don't load a savestate from before your last in game save you'll be ok

Made a savestate, reset the game, loaded the in game save, made a  new ingame save, loaded the old save state, saved a new save state, reset, loaded the new save state and still could not save in game and got the same error. If I am doing something wrong, please tell me and give me how you did it in clear terms (ie not "do the thing").
You literally did the thing I told you not to do 3 times: you loaded a savestate from before your last in game save.

The three times I mentioned it if you want to see them:
Maybe I'm just not being very clear, so third time's the charm, here we go Smile

1. Start the game
2. Load the in game save
3. Play the game
4. Save a savestate in for example, slot 1
5. Play the game some more
6. Load the savestate from slot 1
7. Play the game
8. Repeat steps 3 to 7 as much as you want
9. Make an in game save
10. Overwrite the old savestate in slot 1
11. Repeat steps 3 to 10 as much as you want. Just make sure that when you make an in game save, you overwrite the savestate slot that you were using after saving so that you don't load a savestate from before your last in game save

Apologies for the sarcasm in this post.

tl;dr Don't load a savestate from before your last in game save
(06-11-2018, 08:00 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You literally did the thing I told you not to do 3 times: you loaded a savestate from before your last in game save.

The three times I mentioned it if you want to see them:
Maybe I'm just not being very clear, so third time's the charm, here we go Smile

1. Start the game
2. Load the in game save
3. Play the game
4. Save a savestate in for example, slot 1
5. Play the game some more
6. Load the savestate from slot 1
7. Play the game
8. Repeat steps 3 to 7 as much as you want
9. Make an in game save
10. Overwrite the old savestate in slot 1
11. Repeat steps 3 to 10 as much as you want. Just make sure that when you make an in game save, you overwrite the savestate slot that you were using after saving so that you don't load a savestate from before your last in game save

Apologies for the sarcasm in this post.

tl;dr Don't load a savestate from before your last in game save

So I would have to lose all the progress between my current save state and my last in game save?
As far as I'm aware, yes

There's a Gecko Code that lets you copy the save to another memory card, but on 5.0 stable and the latest dev build it doesn't work for savestates.